Easiest way to add/subtract distance from an existing floor plan?

someguy

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

Another question,

I have a house plan I’ve already done and I need to add 6” in some areas to make it fit a clients needs. Is there a command that will keep all the walls connected so I don’t have to go back and clean every wall up? My other cad program has a stretch command that is easy to use. Can’t really find anything in the help files as I don’t know what chief calls it. 

also can I just draw/copy a wall a particular distance? I’m having a hard time adjusting to a new design program as I’ve been my other one for a long time. 

thanks again for any help/responses. 

• Solution

We have a stretch cad tool but what you are looking for is Edit Area.  Another tool you will find handy is temporary dimensions.  Select the item and then click the appropriate attached dimension or temporary dimension and change the measurement.  Or drag and tab for a dialog to enter the exact distance to move.

Don't be shy about letting us know what software you are coming from as there are a lot of others that have successfully made similar transitions. They can help you with terminology you will understand.   You can actually put some of that information in your signature along with your important computer specifications so it is available to those that are helping out.

29 minutes ago, someguy said:

Is there a command that will keep all the walls connected so I don’t have to go back and clean every wall up?

Menu -> Edit -> Edit Area

learn this command. 

A lot of times we come from other software and miss a certain tool or workflow and we spend too much time trying to make the current software behave like the other.  Often it’s just a matter of getting used to a different workflow with the tolls we have at our disposal. 
It’s not better or worse, just different.