Single story plan with bonus room above garage

BrettT

Hello,

I created a single story house plan with a time consuming roof layout. After getting the roof plan designed the customers want me to add a bonus room above the garage. I have search with no luck on adding a bonus room above garage with the roof design already finished. The videos out there all start out with adding a second floor before building the roof layout. Does anyone know how to accomplish this without messing up the roof layout?

Thanks,

Brett 

Assuming your roof is all custom and not auto built, you would just need to build new roof planes over the new bonus room.  You could probably just build a new blank second floor, turn on your reference display, and then draw the new walls for the bonus room.  Then all you need to do is remove any roof planes under the bonus room and just draw your new roof over it.  

If you get stuck with something, post a more specific question and/or plans and pictures.

If all else fails, just delete all of the roof planes and rebuild an auto roof as a new starting point.  Most of the time these days I start with the auto built roof and can often get what I want without having to make many manual edits.

The roof design is half auto built and half custom roof planes. I have tried building a second floor but it just lifts all my custom dutch walls to the attic floor when they need to be on the second floor. Looks like I am just going to have to start over on the roof planes.  :(

Your bonus room needs a floor...therefore, you need to build a 2nd floor in your plan.

Turn off "auto rebuild roofs" (if you have them on) and build a blank 2nd floor. If you create a room on the new 2nd floor with "room definition"...then Chief will place your default floor system in this room. All the attic spaces above your existing first floor will remain framed with ceiling joists if there is no "room definition". 

You will have to move or reconstruct the roof over this bonus room...unless you are tucking the room under the roof. 

Here's a short video explanation;

Room over Garage - Build a 2nd Floor - Watch Video

363db3c8eb764803bfb02df94f459d6c-with-play.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1