Design Help, awkward door/roof plane placement - How to make it somewhat appealing.

lenmar

Hello,

Newbie here. First time post. Not a designer or architect so there may be standard fixes for this type of problem.

Background: I am adding a carriage house to the side of my existing house. The previous owner bumped out my kitchen by 2'. A deck was wrapped around the corner of the house. Due to the carport, the corner of the deck had to be dropped in order to meet headroom requirements. 

Fast Forward:

Due to lot constraints I have to move the carriage house as close to the original as possible. I wish to use the existing stairways to my kitchen as a common entrance. 

With the existing carport removed, I can raise the lowered wraparound corner to be level with the main deck.

Problem: The carriage house originally had an internal L shaped stairway. As luck would have it, the landing for the stair was almost at the height of the deck. The door to my house basement is reached via a set of concrete steps which lines up perfectly with the lower door to the carriage house.

Here is my dilemma - the roof plane cuts through my upper entrance door. I am trying to figure out an elegant solution that would solve the door issue as well as cover the bump out over the kitchen. Extending the upper roof line of my house to create a breezeway is my first idea, but that awkward corner has gotten the best of me.

Looking for ideas as I combine the two plan drawings into a single plan. Until I can get time to do that, I am just putting out feelers.

X14 Premium software - decided low-cost operator of said software.

7216 Seamount (X6).zip

In this plan the coach house is a symbol, so there is not much that can be done with that.  Do you have the plan file for that building?  It is sort of implied that you do.

To combine the two buildings into one plan, and assuming that you move the coach house into the main dwelling plan, open both plan files.

Go to the coach house drawing and using the edit area tool select all areas.  Copy that, then in the house and past the coach house in a location away from the house so that they do not overlap.  

Do not click on anything for now.  The geometric centre of the pasted coach house assembly will still be highlighted with a grip.  Click on that and drag the coach house to the desired position.  You can reuse the edit all tool to make final adjustments to the coach house's position if needed. 

You might want to make a new copy of the house file before doing this to keep the original plan files should you need to start over.

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

In this plan the coach house is a symbol, so there is not much that can be done with that.  Do you have the plan file for that building?  It is sort of implied that you do.

To combine the two buildings into one plan, and assuming that you move the coach house into the main dwelling plan, open both plan files.

Go to the coach house drawing and using the edit area tool select all areas.  Copy that, then in the house and past the coach house in a location away from the house so that they do not overlap.  

Do not click on anything for now.  The geometric centre of the pasted coach house assembly will still be highlighted with a grip.  Click on that and drag the coach house to the desired position.  You can reuse the edit all tool to make final adjustments to the coach house's position if needed. 

You might want to make a new copy of the house file before doing this to keep the original plan files should you need to start over.

Thanks, I was planning this evening to try and combine the two as the elevation settings were considerably different. Forgot to submit my second carriage house plan before heading out to the grocery store. Will follow your directions to combine the two plans. Was having issues lining up features from one plan to the next. Now I know how to fix them.

Driving home I started thinking about how to deal with the door. My current thinking is to extend manually create roof planes from my existing house (brown roof) to the carriage house (black roof). Their peak and angles are identical.  I then modify the carriage house roof planes, so they end at the walls facing the main house. This should create a breezeway between the two structures that at least take care of the bump out in the house. My current carport (to be removed) has a pull-down attic stair that allows storage in the loft above.  While not replacing all the lost storage space, it will be about 1/2 of what I lost. As an added bonus, I'll be able to stand up in it.

With the breezeway created, I can see what geometry exists over the "the door" and I can see if a porch or other structure would work.

Appreciate the input and advice. Working on my own and it is nice to get someone else's insight rather than just the voices in my head telling me things aren't working.

Len

1 hour ago, lenmar said:

Appreciate the input and advice. Working on my own and it is nice to get someone else's insight rather than just the voices in my head telling me things aren't working.

Len

Would be good if you do your Forum signature Len as it appears you might be using X6 ( 1st post File Name) , and most here won't have X6 available anymore as far as posting plans back for you if that is in fact the case, and you may waste someone's time.

See my sig. below this post for an example........

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Would be good if you do your Forum signature Len as it appears you might be using X6 ( 1st post File Name) , and most here won't have X6 available anymore as far as posting plans back for you if that is in fact the case, and you may waste someone's time.

See my sig. below this post for an example........

I was just looking on how to do this as I noticed everyone else had one. Was literally trying to look at my profile options to figure out how I might do this. Running X14. Will go and create signature right now. Don't want to be wasting anyone's time.

L