Versions in the Same File in Multiples

rysailnot

Hi,

I frequently provide to my clients various iterations of the same design in 3D rendering and on a plan. For my various plans, I have my layers sorted. Is it possible to create various iterations of the same design for my 3D models while keeping everything in one file? Currently, I separate my plans into 2 or 3 files, each labeled with an option. With the camera perspectives, I believe I might be able to accomplish this. If I save a camera view, does it update to a new material? If not, I would need to maintain the model's precise architecture in order to display, for example, multiple cabinet layouts.

I hope this makes clear. Thank you.

stumble guys

On 11/18/2022 at 1:45 AM, rysailnot said:

I have my layers sorted. Is it possible to create various iterations of the same design for my 3D models while keeping everything in one file?

No, at least very limited and not really for what you are asking.

I separate my plans into 2 or 3 files,

Generally what is done as best practice. It's what I have always done and has advantages over any alternative.

If I save a camera view, does it update to a new material?

You know you can save a camera in plan A and copy it to Plan B, then Plan C....

There are some things you can do with referenced sets in plan and/or 3D views but not sure this is easier for what it sounds like you are after. Still something worth looking into as it can be a powerful and useful feature.

For just interiors some folks make extra floors or extra rooms elsewhere with variations- only if structure doesn't matter.

I have one client who often has a 10 to 20 rooms with cabinetry with 3-5 different cabinet defaults. I've taken to making plans based on cabinet defaults.

Make structure, save, save as A, then B, then C....Plan A uses cab defaults 1 w/ cabinets in rooms 1, 4,6,9; Plan B has cabinet defaults 2 with cabinets in some other rooms...and so on.

When changes to defaults change this allows all the cabinets in that plan to change.

When cabinets in a room change those cabinets are cut and pasted into the appropriate plan.

Please fill in your signature- there are posts often about what ( program version and computer info), why (it helps) and how to do that.

Another way that you can handle different cabinet styles is by using style palettes.  If all you want to do is change the cosmetic details like moldings, door styles, hardware, materials, etc. you can setup style palettes and just click in the kitchen to update all of them.  This won't work if you are going to have different layouts though.

If you need to have different cabinet layouts, you might be able to create an architectural block out of them.  Swapping out an architectural block is pretty easy when you want to see one config vs another.