Virtual Reality - Real Time Raytracing

TyvanDesign

Looking to offer clients onsite virtual reality experiences with rtrt. However I am unable to find a definitive answer on the hardware requirements for this. I am looking to utilize the oculus quest 2 with a link cable. Chief outlines a 8gb 3080 but says to rely on the headset hardware requirements.

However I’m hesitant to purchase a $2500 laptop for this purpose if the user experience will be substandard even with the recommended hardware.

Does anyone have experience in this realm, what are your hardware specs? 

***Bump***

Following up to see if this use case is something most users of cheif are avoiding for reasons I'm unaware of? 

Based on the limited fourm posts it seems even users with rtx2070 are having subpar performance with the VR aspect. Is real time ray tracing or virtual reality something that still needs additional development before being ready for a client facing deployment?

I would prefer to keep the rendering & virtual reality within the cheif environment vs exporting the model to 3rd party software.

I tried using an Oculus Quest 2 with RT ray tracing with a NVidia 3070 GTX this summer. The frame rates were < 10 FPS, so it really wasn't up to par from an immersion standpoint. I've heard the new NVidia 4090 series GPUs have 4x the ray tracing performance compared to the 30 series. That is going to be your best bet I would imagine, but still would be pleasantly surprised if you get 30 FPS. I used to be in the real time graphics business about a decade ago, so I don't know what they offer these days above and beyond the gamer level hardware. NVidia used to offer Quadro cards that were 3-5K a pop (10 years ago) and had the ability to pair multiple cards together using SLI. Not sure that is the case today, but if you are worried about spending $2500, that solution isn't in your ballpark.

Does a 3d tour made up of interior 360 images work for you or do you specifically want to navigate through the model? I can't see how you could move through a chief model using RTRT.

I don't think you can even record a walkthrough using RTRT, which, if true, is a major drawback.

https://kuula.co/share/collection/79vqh?logo=1&info=1&fs=1&vr=0&autorotate=0.24&thumbs=1

• Upvote 1