Open roof over a deck

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by imodel,

Hello,

I attached a picture that explains what it has to look like and a plan file that I started.

Can anyone help me get the result as it is on the picture. How do you create an open roof over a deck like this?

I tried using invisible walls and building roof automatically. And then tried to draw manual roof.

I cannot get these two roofs to connect properly. Especially at eaves. It just creates a broken mess.

Beams and columns and materials are not a problem. I just need to make a similarly shaped roof to work with.

Picture.png

PLAN.plan

11 minutes ago, TriDiWorx said:

Especially at eaves

Would set your gable fascia to be much taller than your eave fascia just like the pic. Then throw in a flat ceiling plane at eaves and pitched ceiling plane in between. Youd have to manually build the framing if that needs to be shown

• Solution

I do these frequently.  In section I draw in polysolids for ceiling and fascia elements.  I draw one side and then mirror.  I don't model roof framing so this cheat is just to minimize time spent to get the needed geometry.  No arm wrestling the program or head scratching required.

Where in the world are you building Homes in Milimeters?  I am used to using mm when I design for 3D printing stuff.  Is the only way to go for small stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Would set your gable fascia to be much taller than your eave fascia just like the pic. Then throw in a flat ceiling plane at eaves and pitched ceiling plane in between. Youd have to manually build the framing if that needs to be shown

On 11/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, imodel said:

I do these frequently.  In section I draw in polysolids for ceiling and fascia elements.  I draw one side and then mirror.  I don't model roof framing so this cheat is just to minimize time spent to get the needed geometry.  No arm wrestling the program or head scratching required.

Where in the world are you building Homes in Milimeters?  I am used to using mm when I design for 3D printing stuff.  Is the only way to go for small stuff.

Thanks, for the replies. I hoped that Chief is able to do these with dedicated roof tools. But I will try your suggestions then.

I am in Estonia. We use only metric units here and all construction stuff is mostly in mm. I mean drawings, models and documentation is in mm, but of course in reality you don't build so precisely that it is on point with the exact dimension. Even factory-made building parts or materials have its own tolerances. But yeah, the consensus here is that drawings and dimensions are mostly in mm. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, imodel said:

I am actually inclined to use your suggestion as I do not need to do framing here. I have been using 3D solids to cover up messes all along. Chief Premier kind of has a lot of tools that seem pretty and convenient on videos, but in reality, in a lot of situations I cannot get them to work as I need or there are not enough options to customize properly. 3D solid tool seems to be one of the most useful tools. You can model things with it and to cover up things that Chief messes up or are too time consuming to fix in a model.