Porch Beam - Show Dashed

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by JKEdmo,

Hello,

I created a porch with a post to beam rail style.  I'm in Working Plan View.

Graphically, my expectation would be the beam above would show dashed, but it comes in as a solid line.  See below.

I figured there might be a display setting to change the line type, but could not find one.  Any tips or hints?

image.thumb.png.18c93061984c93a4b3ddce826dd3fb05.png

Out of curiousity, I took a look at Chief's Austin home plan set.  See below.  Their porch beam also shows as a solid line.  Is this a Chief quirk?

image.thumb.png.cc66649cb78e16bbca38034fbad3529f.png

Thanks again,

Jim

6 minutes ago, solver said:

As a test, make your beam 24" wide. How does your plan display change?

Just did so.  The 24" fat beam change showed up in 3D, but not in 2D plan, i.e. the 2D plan remained unchanged.

So, am I in fact seeing the railing in 2D?  I'm confused because I thought I built the object to not have a railing in any view.  Hmmm.

Is there a way to turn off and turn on dashed beam above?

Jim

16 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Is there a way to turn off and turn on dashed beam above?

Not with the Auto Built Railing Tools, AFAIK...... if you want to show it Dashed you will need to use the Framing  > Floor/Ceiling Beam Tool and Draw your own.

I think it has been discussed before in this vein........Chief's Railing Walls over-ride the defined Wall / Layer Line Style ....... what you see is actually the

Railing Wall's width even when the Railings' are essentially made invisible by using the Open Railing Style. My SOP is to set the Railing Wall width to the same as the Post  OR the Columns , so neither overhangs the edge of the Porch as Chief will always Center the Post/Column on the Wall. Depending on the situation you can also try changing the Drawn Options for the Railings , though this doesn't allow the Beam to Show.

image.thumb.png.72c5f7d27c7cfc1d66ae42d5745725f2.png  image.thumb.png.48439d1a694a1ae6ea8fc9878dcacccf.png

• Solution
15 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not with the Auto Built Railing Tools, AFAIK...... if you want to show it Dashed you will need to use the Framing  > Floor/Ceiling Beam Tool and Draw your own.

Thanks for the input.  I will study this in greater detail.  I have a lot to learn!

Jim