Mullion editing for joined windows. Mullion material interior and exterior.

GeneDavis

I get to specify windows sometimes, and do mostly Pella when this happens, because the products are good and the local sales guy is very responsive when we go back and forth about what is possible, specs for special glass, etc.

So when I mull-join Pellas, I do what they do when joining, that is to space the windows by 1/8", because that's what their joiner-part does.  And because I like to have the windows look more true in 3D, I edit the frame depths to match what the maker has, and then have to edit the "mullion," which is that little 1/8" thick piece Chief puts there.  I do the math to make that piece flush up to the sash both inside and outside.

So Chief leaves a gap where that mullion used to be before edit.  See the images attached.

And Chief must consider the mullion part of the inside of the window, because you cannot make its outside face match the outside material spec.  This is a tiny thing, with the Pella 1/8" joiner, but must be annoying to some who mull with wider joins.

So why bother with that 1/8"?  I guess the reason I do it is to have the window parts, before they get blocked, be true factory-width or height.  I call out in the comments in the window schedule, for each mull-joined unit, the sizes of the units that make up the ganged biggie.  It helps when reviewing quotes.

But the gap.  Is it something I can make go away?  And the color, shouldn't be be able to control interior and exterior materials?

Screenshot 2022-10-05 101713.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-05 101758.jpg

23 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Is it something I can make go away?  And the color, shouldn't be be able to control interior and exterior materials?

The lines for the gap won't go away using line drawing on top, they do without the lines. The only other way to get total size of mulled unit without lines is to cheat the windows by1/16 each and change the side sash by 1/32. Of course that presents issues with ML and or Schedules (could likely cheat that too though)

image.thumb.png.25f5da805618e2523698f35933b13b74.png

While you can't paint the mullion directly it is controlled by the Materials, Trim (Exterior) IF you had exterior casing and painted them it would  change, barring that uise the DBX

image.thumb.png.ca086021378bd4324205c3ff619c1227.png '