Trying to model Insuldeck. 3d object not fully rendering in cross section.

pattyw

So my original design was going to be columns holding up tiebeams and then the next floor would be resting on top of the tiebeams.  I was doing the tiebeams as pony walls with the tiebeams being the top part.  I'm thinking of switching to Insuldeck which would be integrated with the tiebeams.  So my entire plan is falling apart.  With the new design the tiebeams are no longer really a part of the ceiling below but integrated with the floor above.  So I'm experimenting with a test file where I will model the 2nd floor structure as a 16" air gap and then insert 3d objects.  It was kind of working till I cut a cross section.

Why is my Insuldeck 3d object (I've added as a symbol to my user library) not being fully displayed in cross sections?  Depending on where I move the camera, different portions render, but it's very little.  Would be nice to be able to see the full proper cross section.

InsuldeckCrossSectionIssue.png

4 minutes ago, pattyw said:

Why is my Insuldeck 3d object not being fully displayed in cross sections?

Symbols are not Solids but a group of "Faces" creating a Hollow box , so they don't usually show well in a Section View , you'd need to be looking at the end of the "symbol" not cutting through it . So perhaps a 6" section placed in front of the camera so the end is visible?

M.

2 minutes ago, pattyw said:

If I attach the plan file to this thread, you won't be able to open it in Chief?

No he meant for you to close the plan in Chief before you attach it to a post or the Forum won't be able to upload it as Chief Locks the File when it is open. If the Plan File is over 14mb , you'll also need  to Zip the file to upload it.

M

13 minutes ago, pattyw said:

Why does the TieBeam symbol properly render?

Huh?  now I am confused..... is the Tiebeam a symbol or a 3D solid?  or a ponywall?

If you pull the end of your symbol back into the Camera , I think you will see it....

image.thumb.png.d9ef3bc9696c0e415bbb02a42ef7a192.png

M.

The ends of the tie beam are not in the camera view but it cleanly renders the square outline.

I do see what you mean.  I moved the camera so the end was in the camera and now it does draw the entire slice of insuldeck including the shading.

There's no way to get it to do that no matter where the camera is?

7 minutes ago, pattyw said:

The ends of the tie beam are not in the camera view but it cleanly renders the square outline.

I do see what you mean.  I moved the camera so the end was in the camera and now it does draw the entire slice of insuldeck including the shading.

There's no way to get it to do that no matter where the camera is?

see above .......is the Tiebeam a symbol or a 3D solid? or a ponywall?

it's not a slice when moved back but the end you are looking at .......like in the 3D View.

Try a 6 " length sitting in the same position with end seen in CS Camera, put them on a Unique Layer , so you can turn them off if View where you don't want to see them/the extra Lines etc.

M.

12 minutes ago, pattyw said:

The insuldeck is a symbol (is that what it's called when added to UserLibrary?) that I created from 3d primitives.

Yes........

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Symbols don't generate cross section lines. It does generate clean cad lines though when you create a cad detail from view...

Yes that's where I was going with the 6" Lengths , multicopied across building and then the CS Camera sent to a CAD Detail ,

which can be blocked and saved to the Library as well for future use....

M.

2 minutes ago, pattyw said:

ok, I think I get it.  Don't put in a 10' section.  Just add a ton of 6" sections and then no matter where the camera is placed, it will render properly.  Thank you, I will try that.

Depends on the View etc you need , you can have both as explained above , just put full length and 6" sections on different Layers.....

M.