Before and after terrain?

pattyw

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I've entered the terrain as it currently is from my lot survey, placed the house at the desired elevation, and it's obvious I'm going to need fill.  I'm now trying to model what I want the terrain to look like after grading.  Is there a concept of before and after terrain?  Right now seems like my only option is to change my one and only terrain.   I like how the current terrain shows up in my elevations.  I was then hoping to model the new terrain and so then I could label the fill appropriately in my elevations.

Make the Plan you have the As-Built/Existing , then do a File > Save-As..... Proposed Plan and model the desired Terrain in it.

you should then be able to use Reference Display Option with the As-Built to see each in 3D etc.....

this assume a recent Version of Chief , which is why you are asked to fill in your Signature.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5537/what-s-new-in-x14-presentation-features.html

Mick

ok, thank you!  I did find inside the change floor/reference that it looks like I can pick a different plan file to use as a reference.  I guess that's better than nothing, but then if something changes in the home design,  ugggh.  I would need to make sure the house is completely finished.   Or maybe I will experiment with an empty plan file that just has the existing terrain and the plan file with the house has the new terrain?

1 minute ago, pattyw said:

Or maybe I will experiment with an empty plan file that just has the existing terrain and the Proposed plan file with the house has the new terrain?

Have not tried it but this should work , you should be able to make a SVP where the proposed plan has the new Terrain Off in 3D etc and the Existing is showing with the Ref. display on if you put the Existing Terrain on it's own new Layer etc.

Mick.

• Solution

When I've needed to display the terrain like this, I model the existing terrain then convert it to a symbol and place it on its own layer. I also paint it a different material (and I may make that material solid or transparent as needed). I find that much simpler to control than using the reference plan method. Something to consider...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, robdyck said:

When I've needed to display the terrain like this, I model the existing terrain then convert it to a symbol and place it on its own layer. I also paint it a different material (and I may make that material solid or transparent as needed). I find that much simpler to control than using the reference plan method. Something to consider...

Thank You!  I tried this trick and it worked quite well! It's nice having everything in one file.

Would be nice if CA had a way to calculate fill/cut volumes between the two.

3 hours ago, pattyw said:

Would be nice if CA had a way to calculate fill/cut volumes between the two.

I've done that quickly by making both into symbols, then exporting only those 2 symbols to SketchUp. In Sketchup I was able to subtract one from the other.

It is a problem that Chief doesn't allow us to convert an object to a solid.