Roof structure line not showing

ChiefJeet

6 hours ago, ChiefJeet said:

I have a section through roof and for some reason, the bottom roof structure line is not showing as it does on other plans. Can anyone help me with the solution please. Plan file attached.

You haven't built the Framing I think............or your BackClip is too short to show one......what you are highlighting is the Fascia Board not the rafter....

M.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

The underside of the roof structure will not generate a cross-section line. You would need a rafter or, you could use a fill pattern for the roof structure and click 'Auto-Detail'.

Thank you Robert but in the second clip, the structure line is showing and there is no rafter framing drawn. I have attached the plan for the second clip. Do you note anything different that is allowing for the bottom roof structure line to be seen?

Roof structure line showing.plan

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You haven't built the Framing I think............or your BackClip is too short to show one......what you are highlighting is the Fascia Board not the rafter....

Thank you Mick

I have not drawn the rafter like Robert says and there is no backclip on the section. It may be the facia line that I see but it does the job for me for preparing the section without adding the framing. What I cannot figure out is why the bottom line is showing on one file and not the other. File attached above.

2 hours ago, ChiefJeet said:

the structure line is showing and there is no rafter framing drawn.

No, it isn't. A Cross Section Line will generate a snap point. To 'test' this, change the layer color of Cross Section Lines. Or click on the gable wall to see the wall polyline.

In the image below, I've change the cross section lines to green and attic walls to pink.

image.thumb.png.805804478449daa907ec65f565702f96.png

If you'd like to generate a cross section line at the underside of rafters, you could add a 2nd layer to the roof structure.

image.thumb.png.a5215231398fd0cd91880967c2722f21.png

Thank you Rob

I did not know the Cross Section lines existed and that is something new I have learnt.

I deleted the gable line and the two lines are still there and they are useful but just trying to determine what they are. I added the second layer to the rafter but it does not show in the section. I have attached 2 videos demonstrating the process. Thank you for your help.

Roof structure line 2.jpg

28 minutes ago, ChiefJeet said:

and the two lines are still there

Those lines are the roof soffit. You'll need to spend a fair bit of time familiarizing yourself with all the aspects of the model and how Chief displays them.

47 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You'll need to spend a fair bit of time familiarizing yourself with all the aspects of the model and how Chief displays them.

Just doing that and been on it for two and half years but have to do ongoing projects in between.  Thank you for your help