Rendering Engine question, what setting will fix this generation?

PMMully

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

See attached plan. I have the two problem areas outlined in red, on floor two, the raised room. I believe I checked all wall alignments, etc. 

I have now taken a step back and try to understand how CA works at the core. What is the setting to tell the rendering engine how to close these two gaps on the walls where the roof joins the walls? See elevation as well. @DavidJPotter @SNestor

I have lots of mixed wall types in my remodel and addition jobs if you are wondering why I submit such plans. In FL, the mix of CBU/Frame is everywhere except the old stuff.

ManualRoofGames.plan

• Solution

There is no setting for this. The real issue is that Chief automatically stops roof planes at the wall exterior finish layer. This is not correct for most real world conditions. Typically, a roof plane and its cladding will stop at the wall sheathing layer, and the wall cladding would be above the roof cladding, usually with a gap for flashing, depending on the type of wall cladding and regional building codes.

So, for those roof planes that are butting up to walls, you could uncheck 'Use Special Snapping' and drag the roof plane to the wall sheathing layer. Or, you could notch the roof plane around the wall while keeping Special Snapping checked. 

image.thumb.png.06d2b4d913c9fe0c58a5406eedb011da.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, robdyck said:

There is no setting for this. The real issue is that Chief automatically stops roof planes at the wall exterior finish layer. This is not correct for most real world conditions. Typically, a roof plane and its cladding will stop at the wall sheathing layer, and the wall cladding would be above the roof cladding, usually with a gap for flashing, depending on the type of wall cladding and regional building codes.

So, for those roof planes that are butting up to walls, you could uncheck 'Use Special Snapping' and drag the roof plane to the wall sheathing layer. Or, you could notch the roof plane around the wall while keeping Special Snapping checked. 

image.thumb.png.06d2b4d913c9fe0c58a5406eedb011da.png

"There is no setting for this. The real issue is that Chief automatically stops roof planes at the wall exterior finish layer. This is not correct for most real world conditions. Typically, a roof plane and its cladding will stop at the wall sheathing layer, and the wall cladding would be above the roof cladding, usually with a gap for flashing, depending on the type of wall cladding and regional building codes."

Perfect explanation of the situation versus the real world. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much.  Sometimes I do not see the rendering do this, probably wall placement or some underlying condition.

I have been doing the notch method to get around this, sometimes it actually looks better, others not. I will try the "drag" method later today.