How we extend those cabinet sides for real after doing it in Chief

GeneDavis

I have clients for which I do their plans, which are doing all their cabinet buys the low cost unbundled virtual way.  They use, or I do it for them, Thermwood's eCabinets software to "build" all the cabinets for a job, email the job file to a CNC cut shop for the entire carcase order, buy all the fronts, trim, drawerboxes, etc., from Walzcraft in LaCrosse, WI, and the hardware packages from someone like CabinetParts.com.  Always frameless, and top end details like Blumotion Tandem slides, softclose doors, RevAShelf goodies inside plus Hafele, and more.  It's KD cabinetry, and most jobs get the carcases built from palletized parts, somewhere near the end of day one on job.  From there, hanging and installing is like any purchased cab package.

Wherever we have a base run butting to a tall cabinet, we step the tall out 2 inches so the baserun countertop resolves nicely into the tall side.  We don't make a 26-deep tall, and instead just "make" the cab with one extended side, an extra 2 inches rearward.  That side is a "finished end" so no exposed fasteners (we do all joinery with a setup called "lock tenon" which is m&t plus zipscrews between), with the finished side fixed with pocket screws.

The setting in eCabs to extend the side rearward is a whole lot easier thing to do than the Chief operation.  Pics attached.  Look at the various tabs in the carcase spec dialog that permits addressing each part: left end, right end, top, deck, back, etc.  Thought this might be of interest, and I am going to make a suggestion in that subforum for this feature.

Where is the toekick, one might ask?  We use Blum or Peter Maier or Camar plastic leg levelers under all base cabinets and talls, so the boxes sit on legs, and the toeboards snap with clips onto the front legs.

2022-07-24 10_37_45-eCabinet Systems 6.2.9 - Assembly_ Untitled.png

2022-07-24 10_39_43-eCabinet Systems 6.2.9 - Assembly_ Untitled.png

2022-07-24 10_40_25-eCabinet Systems 6.2.9 - Assembly_ Untitled.png

I've been doing the same for as long as I remember though often have it extended 3", then scribed and trimmed to 2" in the field. Had asked for this since X6 and included in my list for X8 User Panel. (though I was told it's not in the database? so resent an email conversation from long ago) Thought when we got extend stiles this would have been included. It's a standard mod even in the majority of middle of the road semi-custom brands. It's just about the last important thing missing from cabinets so maybe some day....