Adjusting Cabinet Pull Elevations

TomSams

Go to solution Solved by TomSams,

• Solution

I have a tall cabinet consisting of a pair of high doors, a pair of lower doors with a full width drawer underneath. I have been able to properly locate the door pulls on the upper door, however the pulls on the lower doors default to the center of the door and I have not been able to find a way to move them to elevation that I am desiring. The upper pulls are located 2 3/4" from the bottom of the door and I'd like to have the handles on the lower doors at 2 3/4" from the top of the door.

Thanks, Tom

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, TomSams said:

I have a tall cabinet consisting of a pair of high doors, a pair of lower doors with a full width drawer underneath. I have been able to properly locate the door pulls on the upper door, however the pulls on the lower doors default to the center of the door and I have not been able to find a way to move them to elevation that I am desiring. The upper pulls are located 2 3/4" from the bottom of the door and I'd like to have the handles on the lower doors at 2 3/4" from the top of the door.

Thanks, Tom

Open up the Individual doors in the Front/Sides/Back Panel.

image.thumb.png.4e9fd889a644b075569571fddd57269e.png

Ryan: Thank you for your assistance. When I looked at the solution you provided it made perfect sense to me and I assumed it would fix the issue. However, when I actually got to my office this morning and put it into practice the handles remain as they were, See attached screen shot. the boxes seem to contain the correct information as they were in your reply. I apologize for the solution mix up, not sure what I did.

Thanks, Tom

CA Door Handle Location Question.jpg

1 hour ago, TomSams said:

Ryan: Thank you for your assistance. When I looked at the solution you provided it made perfect sense to me and I assumed it would fix the issue. However, when I actually got to my office this morning and put it into practice the handles remain as they were, See attached screen shot. the boxes seem to contain the correct information as they were in your reply. I apologize for the solution mix up, not sure what I did.

Thanks, Tom

CA Door Handle Location Question.jpg

Hey Tom I am not able to reproduce that same issue myself: 

image.thumb.png.285c3b68bc890026ea2d32ffb06ee86d.png

Does it not work when you close out the DBX on the cabinet after setting it correctly?  Sometimes the preview does not always refresh correctly.  Although most of the time it does now a days with the later versions.  If it does not work.  Try the following.  Set it to a crazy number like 18 or so, hit ok and save it and then reopen the cabinet and try changing it.  You can also try hitting the F5 (oob is refresh) hotkey to see if it updates the view.

As a note even though it was set to 3" on mine when I opened it as the default it was wrong location and did not update until I over-rode the default and inputted the number myself.  There is something in there that is hardwired to put it in the middle of the lower door.  Maybe a bug report or maybe that is how they have it programmed to do. 

If none of this helps I would recommend uploading the plan file or the offending symbol to see if myself or others can figure it out.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with your plan or the program (other than the fact that the default behavior can be confusing).

Take a look at your picture of the "Door Face Item" dialog.  Note how the "Down From Top" value is specified as "use default".  When the hardware position is set to "use default" then you will get the default behavior.  By default the program will try to put handles at the bottom of upper doors, the top of lower doors, and right at 36" for an oversized door.  This is because full height cabinets can have lots of different door configurations.

If you would like to turn off this default behavior, then you can type in the handle position to remove the "use default".

4 minutes ago, Dermot said:

By default the program will try to put handles at the bottom of upper doors, the top of lower doors, and right at 36" for an oversized door.

I think this is the confusion here @Dermot thanks for clarifying it.  With a typical 90" Full cabinet those doors are at 37" with a 9" lower drawer which must fall into the oversized door category.  Interesting that when it defaults it to the 36" height that when you open it the overall default is shown instead of the offset that puts it at 36".  I learned that today so thank you for the input.  Doesn't matter enough to me to make a suggestion differently so I will just file that away for information in any case I come up with on that.

9 minutes ago, solver said:

It is actually easier than that.  Just click on the "Default" wrench to unselect it and it pops to 3".  I think it should as you mentioned show what the actual offset is for it to be at the preset 36" instead of showing the overall default.  But not worth the time for the suggestion/time away for the programmers taking away from other tasks for my workflow needs.