1 Extra Floor In Plan (A Dsh Rule)

jbaehmer

Ok.  I have heard about having an extra floor in the plan.  Scott has mentioned this a few times (and I know others do it) and I always thought it was interesting, but never (until now) took the time to ask....WHY?  

What are the advantages to doing this?  I don't think I am having issues with it, but then again, I don't understand why some do it this way.  Who knows, maybe I will see the error in my ways and start doing it.

Jared:

I have heard/read that some users, at least for basement plans, use Floor 1 for the basement while Floor 0 is used for the foundation footings.  I only tried this once some time ago and for some reason just didn't like it so now use Floor 0 for basement walls AND footings.  I don't remember what the other users doing it that way thought the advantages were.  Other than that, I don't recall what else Scott and/or others might be using the extra floor for when used for some other purpose .... unless it is for a 2nd story where a steep roof literally bears on the 1st floor walls but a 2nd story is added to control the ceiling height etc.  I am sure Scott will chime in with the right answer sooner or later.