Any Advice For Rookie Color Choosing?

HumbleChief

I don't select colors very often for clients for obvious reason i.e: display/monitor differences and other variables out of my control but when doing so I get a very distinct difference from the color chooser/texture palette and what displays on screen. I think that trying to get the tea kettle and the screen to match exactly is a fool's errand but as you can see from the attached pic, the value on the color chooser versus the screen are world's apart. Is there a basic practice for getting those values at least in the same universe?

COLOR CHOOSER.png

Yeah, I assume there will always be some adjustment but to have colors be SO far off seems basic to Chief's render/RT core intention. I downloaded the Sherwin Williams color catalog and not sure why there was any effort put in to same as the color on the palette and the color on the screen were again, world's apart. I guess that's just the nature of the beast? Just seems odd that the discrepancies are so large.

Are there lighting or view options that can improve those discrepancies?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

Have you tweaked your monitor to be brighter than 50%? I think this is often the culprit. 

Don't think so, but wouldn't a brighter monitor brighten ALL the colors on the screen? What do you do Alan? Just capital A adjust?

Monitor @ 33%

I make it look good for camera. If I am presenting colors images I try to get close by tweaking the color.  A lot of times that is brining the color chip in to the scene and using the color dropper tool to adjust the texture. I often find I need to then darken it to get it look right. The other thing that I believe helps is to use the line technique overlay to add some squiggle to the image. That gives it a more 'artist rendition' sketch feel so people don't too locked into the actual color presented. I am not a high end renderer so I don't attempt the realism level that others are able to get to. There is too much time involved in getting the textures dialed in for my attention span and schedule. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzira said:

The other thing that I believe helps is to use the line technique overlay to add some squiggle to the image. That gives it a more 'artist rendition' sketch feel so people don't too locked into the actual color presented. 

Like this idea...