Is there a better way?

kgschlosser

Ok so this was the goal.

single wall that is not connected at one end. On th end that is not connected I wanted a pass thru. You can see what I am talking about in this image

image.thumb.png.814fe39f79e8c543cf83e1c502a69814.png

While I did come up with a way to make the wall it is a pretty big hack to do it.

What I did was I created a solid railing for the bottom portion of the wall. In order to make the top portion of it I ended up making a wall directly above it on the next floor. Then in 3d view I grabbed the bottom of the wall and pulled it down and grabbed the top and pulled it down to align with the ceiling.

I call this a bad hack because there is a wall on the floor above which in reality shouldn't exist and that wall can interfere with objects on that floor. I was lucky with this plan the wall does not get in the way of anything,

I  tried creating a pass through and that does not work as it always wants to have  1.5" between the pass through and the end of the wall. I have not found a way to remove that requirement. Chief will not allow placing a wall on top of another wall on the same floor so that doesn't work.

I have tried to edit the wall in 3D mode and it will not allow me to create a "C" tho I can create a "U" which doesn't make one bit of sense.

I am using X11 so if there is a better way to achieve this I am needing an education on how to do it.

Thanks for the help.

There are at least 2 ways to do that type of opening that I can think of off the top of my head.

You can use the Inserts Into Wall option for a symbol.

Just hide the symbol.

There is a tool on the Edit toolbar for editing the size and shape of the opening.

952673976_ScreenShot2022-03-27at9_58_25am.thumb.jpg.9198eb1f5788c9049a6e6789fd4db7d3.jpg

Chief will not allow placing a wall on top of another wall on the same floor so that doesn't work.

This isn't strictly true.

You can have 2 walls occupying the same space as long as one of them is designated as No Room Definition.

1751626054_ScreenShot2022-03-27at10_22_53am.thumb.jpg.c826fa980a2413302ec368a8de5cafe2.jpg

1 hour ago, glennw said:

You can use the Inserts Into Wall option for a symbol.

Just hide the symbol.

I didn't think of that. That's a better way to go about it than what I did.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

You can have 2 walls occupying the same space as long as one of them is designated as No Room Definition.

This I did not know. This is probably the way I am going to go about it.

Placing a wall on the floor above and pulling it down is thinking outside the box. I just didn't like having a wall on a floor that wasn't for that floor.

Is there a place to make suggestions for additions to the program. It would be nice if in the wall detail there was the option to flip the walls viewing side but also be able to manipulate all of the layers and not just the framing. So if needing to do something like that I am needing to do it could be done much easier trying to get things lined up in 3D view can be challenging to say the least, if there was a way to alter the layers in 2D view like the wall detail it would be a lot easier..

That same feature would really improve what a user could do with wall coverings. I have really wanted to be able to design some pretty complex tile patterns and I have not been able to.

I have another question which is partially in line with this topic. It's the same plan and it's dealing with a gable shed dormer wall. main roof is gambrel and the pitches are 25 and 3. The dormer is a 5 pitch and the ridge of the dormer is where the break is in the main roof. I do not have a hole for the dormer as the hip wall aligns with the exterior wall on the floor below.

Normally the roof cuts wall at bottom is checked off for the dormer. In my use case I needed to have the wall extend all the way to the floor. So the top portion of the wall would be a siding-6 type and the bottom portion of the wall would be an interior-6. In the wall specification--> roof there is "Lower Wall Type If Split by Butting Roof.".. I have been unable to get this to work. So what I did was I made the wall a pony wall setting the wall types as stated above. I then went into 3D view and made the pony wall follow the 25 pitch roof line. That all worked out perfect.

What does not work is I am not able to specify a wall covering for that wall and I also tried setting a wall covering for the room and it does not use that either. I have a tile pattern that needs to be applied to the wall and it simply will not use the pattern I provide.

Is there some kind of a trick to getting it to work? I have used the wall coverings on other pony walls and not had any issue, These were horizontal pony walls and not an angle. It could be the angle that is messing it up. Maybe it would work if I could use that butting roof option so maybe someone could explain how that works..

Thanks again.