NEW COMPUTER: MAC Talk

ChickBuilder

Hi there! Has anyone upgraded their computers to the newest iMac computer with their M1 chip system versus their older computers that have the Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB ?

My MacBook Pro just isn't cutting it with the graphics card when I'm heavy into rendering. 

If anyone has some tips or pointers on the new Mac computer system that comes with the new M1 chip please let me know :)

Thank you!

Rebecca

I've been a Mac only owner since 2004. I had a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

I switched to a PC and Windows 11 because of the lack of a dedicated video card and no NVIDIA support.  I bought a $3,800 MSI gaming desktop.

I'm happy with it.  Windows has come a long way.

I still have the MacBook Pro, I gave the Mac Pro to my daughter.

I can Real Time Ray Trace in less than a minute.  I didn't know when I bought it, but my PC is also an Xbox-a very good one.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, ChickBuilder said:

This is directly related to Chief. 

I'm asking if anyone has updated their computers, run the newest version of Chief, and if it works out smoothly?

Does anyone run Chief with the new iMac with the M1 chip?

Agreed. This a relative General Question. That said, as per solver, you will indeed be able to find threads on how well the M1(s) work with Chief.

Although NVIDIA has always been the optimal card for running Chief - along with many other programs which "render" using CPU vs. GPU, the M1 is performing well.  

In June 2021 Chief tech support was initially uncertain about the performance potential (or lack thereof) w/ the M1chipset. This was when X13 was relatively new. There weren't years of history behind the possible minor glitches which could occur. 

On a side... X14 may very likely include improvements which will optimize the chipset to its fullest. 

All the best. 

• Like 1

I agree.  This is a very general Q about Mac limitations with video cards.

No need for a sig on this question, you basically already told us your computer.

And as for chat vs General. This is about as general a Q as one can ask, I think you're fine.

+1 moving to Windows, your Graphics, SSDs, memory options are virtually unlimited.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I woke up this morning to almost all of my posts being downvoted.
I offer the best answers I can, based on my knowledge and experience, (which admittedly, isn't much).  But vengeance downvotes is pretty petty....

This is why I answered what I answered aboive:

"Chatroom
A chatroom for registered users for topics related to Chief Architect that don't fall into another category"

• Upvote 1