Symbol CAD Block Offset

robdyck

For symbols with a 3d offset, is there a way to get the 2d CAD block to offset to match the symbol's position? A couple of examples:

• A toilet: I may want the 3d symbol offset so I can bump the back to a wall, but I'd actually want a 1/2" gap between the toilet and wall.
  • A range: same as above. In the snippet below, the symbol is offset by 1/2", but in plan view the CAD block remains tight to the wall.
  • Do I need to add a 1/2" polyline to the back of the symbol CAD block (shown in the last snippet)?

image.thumb.png.be39d22082229cf02064ee475c2cacd8.pngimage.thumb.png.33cc8034338fcb8c8d047444ea4aebbf.pngimage.thumb.png.e957ab220ae9a511c436dbb9abdd6578.png

I think you're trying to repurpose the X/Y offsets for something they really shouldn't be used for.  What we really need is some more refined bounding box control if anything.  In the meantime, I suggest you reset your offsets and maybe try one of these options instead:

• Add a super small object to your symbol.  This can be a very very tiny Face even that gets placed on the floor and that will be essentially invisible in all views.
  • Add something to the symbol that may actually serve for increasing accuracy (Range ----> anti-tip bracket, Toilet ----> waterline, Dryer ----> Ducting, etc.)
  • Place your symbol in an Architectural Block and just add a molding polyline to the back of the block that doesn't have a molding assigned. 

You could alternatively continue to use the offset along with a Custom CAD Block that creates the offset using a text box so it doesn't show up anywhere like I've done with this dryer example:

pic1.thumb.jpg.a636ded5c3558e306caccdccc1af91d5.jpgpic2.thumb.jpg.403db3b9aaba04d8e364cde66683a0d2.jpgpic3.thumb.jpg.3c9dbeb676c47ec270034329aad2892b.jpg

Dryer with offset.calibz

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You could alternatively continue to use the offset along with a Custom CAD Block that creates the offset using a text box so it doesn't show up anywhere like I've done with this dryer example:

I appreciate the feedback Michael. This is essentially what I've done.

For context, and for others reading this post, I would only do this where I'm creating detailed plans including high-quality renderings. 

Otherwise, the time involved would be somewhat wasted, unless one uses the same symbols repeatedly.