How to change Cabinet Door Symbol I created to a glass front door panel?

CJordanDesign

I created a brass-trimmed panel door and added it to my library.  I would like to change it to a glass panel door but cannot figure out how to edit it---when I change the material with the eyedropper the entire door symbol changes to glass. 

I used this video to create the door

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5532/creating-a-custom-cabinet-door.html?playlist=87

I am using X12

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 8.55.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 8.58.19 AM.png

Before converting to a symbol you need the panel and the frame to be using different materials. They can be copies of the same material with different names.

image.thumb.png.f8843fde07db877af790cdf3000a71ab.png

FWIW that video is kind of old. Check over in symbols (or maybe in tips?) I've posted some plans for making cabinet doors-been a few over the years.

IN general I make a center panel (wainscot panel) that has the framing bead on it. Convert that to a cabinet door symbol, then use a wall cabinet to make the door style.

Then save that for later to make it EASY to change rail and stile widths, split to a double for tall cabinets, change the wainscot panel AND if you end up with a wood grain it will go in the proper direction on the rails and stiles.

I just whipped up a quickie here that shows the sequence of making the door from a cabinet. Be sure to open ALL of the DBXs and ALL of the tabs in the symbols to understand what is going on. 

Wainscot panel symbol image.thumb.png.03471ef8bbc9a1d5d12ba568758d8a15.png

For the cabinet start with framed, 0" separation, set front to opening, delete the top and bottom separation and unCheck the wrench of the stiles so they are NOT set to default, no shelves.

Then go around each side and back, select match front, then select custom face.

Then go back and change the default separation to what you want-like 2". Go to the front, click the wrench for left and right stile so they are now default, add a top and bottom separation.

Change the opening to side panel inset. Select a custom made wainscot panel., Check materials, convert to symbol, set stretch planes and check the offset. During conversion set each of the different materials to Plan Materials, USE default.

337925992_doorscreenshotsPage001.thumb.png.95851e09fde9802cff44e9080c7e5d62.png

1766619617_doorscreenshotsPage002.thumb.png.cd6fffad05595ac74da9a69c24a4448e.png

Make a cabinet door.zip

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, MarkMc said:

IN general I make a center panel (wainscot panel) that has the framing bead on it.

Mark, I'm walking through this and I think I understand the flow, but when I try to re-create what you did--I get stuck at the beginning. How did you make the beaded wainscot panel example so that the bead edge is a different material from the panel?  I tried to go to the core catalogue wainscotting but could not get it to treat the beading different from the panel.  I am sure this must be an obvious "how to"...

51 minutes ago, CJordanDesign said:

How did you make the beaded wainscot panel example so that the bead edge is a different material from the panel? 

I believe he would have had to create the panel separately from the bead edge and assign different materials.  They are 2 different objects each with their own material.  I suspect that the bead edge is a molding polyline.

13 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I believe he would have had to create the panel separately from the bead edge and assign different materials.  They are 2 different objects each with their own material.  I suspect that the bead edge is a molding polyline.

Yes, thank you--I will try that! That is what I was getting stuck on: how to create the wainscot panel with the bead edge reading as a different material--before creating the door. 

13 hours ago, solver said:

so you should not need this video.

Thank you Eric--I am sure this video will help me-I created the door in Sketchup and trying to edit the trim etc hasn't worked for me.  I would like to create within CA as much as possible--I appreciate you including this video for me.

2 hours ago, CJordanDesign said:

wainscot panel with the bead edge reading as a different material

Panel is a psolid, edge bead is a 3D molding line.

Might consider searching for what I mentioned

On 2/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, MarkMc said:

I've posted some plans for making cabinet doors-been a few over the years.

I don't generally make videos, just plans and info.

I make all symbols completely within Chief. Digging into the plans is a way to learn how to deal with symbols overall instead of "how to do this one thing" ; at least that's how I learned so that's what I post. YMMV :)