Conventional Framing?

ACADuser

We are having long lead times for trusses so the builder is wanting to go with conventional framing.

Any tips for framing floors & roofs with Chief?

I'll drag out the span tables for sizing but it varies from place to place on the house.

Do you folks pick worst case & spec that size for almost all locations?

And how to floor frame with concrete pier foundations? There is no "room" def on the foundation level.

Going back to Old School Building!

Thanks Joe.

I'm using TJI for floor systems & 2x8 for roof rafters.

The ceiling joist vary from 2x4 to 2x8 SYP. I'm using ridge boards so the ceiling joist have to overlap at interior bearing walls for tension loads.

The rear porch will need a ridge beam for vaulted ceiling.

The red is the existing portion of the house.

Gomez.PNG

This is a very interesting topic for me.  Glad you brought this up.

Span charts are one thing, but they don't tell you anything about what is really important, and that is deflection.  You can find the span you want in the chart, but if you either do the calculations by hand, or using a computer application you will find that what may work from the chart is not something you would feel comfortable with in a particular situation.  Say, the chart looks good, but the deflection is 0.75 inches or 3/4".  This type of scenario is not that uncommon, so I use deflection as a pertinent factor in choosing a construction member. 

Another thing that I have been finding that is very frustrating is the lack of knowledge from plans examiners.  One of my best friends is a retired plans examiner and we used to disagree all the time regarding code applications.  Obviously, he won, but the important thing was that I respected his knowledge and experience.  Not so much these days where it comes to plan review issues where the boomers are retiring, and less experienced folks are in charge.

I have found that a very narrow approach to code applications is iften being taken.  As in, if a particular method of construction does not have a picture of it in the book, or some direct reference in the text then engineering is required.  Some jurisdictions require a structural engineer, not just a licensed engineer, for such circumstances.  Point is, perfectly good solutions may not be cost effective if you factor in the cost of an engineer and the time delay for your project since these types of situations are coming up far too often these days and engineers are often booked out a ways.

The advice I give myself these days is that if I do not find a direct reference in the code book to a particular construction method, then take a step back and find a method that does.

• Like 2

Alan, you can use invisible walls on floor 0 to define a "foundation" so that Chief will frame the floor platform for you.

Forte will calculate commodity lumber for you, I use it often. You can set it to design to L/480 for a stiffer floor.

The program will give you the allowed deflection versus the actual deflection. Hope this helps, Bob