Marrying Manually-Drawn Roof Planes

HarrisReno

Go to solution Solved by DougMaddox,

This is my second roof question post, as I did not want to bombard the forum with too many questions in one post. I’m hoping these questions are related enough to justify including them together.

In the attached plan, my manually-drawn roof planes do not “marry” together well. I’m including images that illustrate the connections, lack of connections, overlaps, and other unattractive issues. Is there one thing I’m doing wrong, or is each image a separate problem? Perhaps there is an ideal tutorial you can direct me to that would solve everything…?

Each image does contain a “separate” question, but, in my head, it’s all related to roof plane connections. However, if I need to break these into individual posts, I am happy to do so.

Thank you in advance for the help!

MarryingPlanes.zip

• Solution

Hi Wendy

I looked at your plan file and made some adjustments.  First, check all of your eave heights and overhangs - they all seem to be different.  Second, are you sure of your roof pitches - one is 8 in 12, one is 9 in 12 ,etc.  Then I broke your two crossing roofs using the "3" (break key) at the center.  Then use the "2" (manual join roof planes) key to join the roofs.  This should eliminate the roofs intruding into the house.  Then raise the shed roof plane to 9' at eave and use the "2" key to join the shed with main roof.  Hope this helps

LenhartPlan2022-withShedRoof-Connected REVISED.plan

Thank you, Solver, for catching my outdated signature! I've corrected it. 

Doug! You're my hero!! You have saved the day by fixing everything for me! It looks so great! I'm really so unfamiliar with roofs that I don't know enough about eave heights and overhangs. When it comes to roof pitches, I tinker with numbers until each one "looks" right (I know... terrible!). Rest assured, I'm not creating blue prints or truss designs for anyone - obviously! Just simple renderings for friends to convey their visions. 

I do wish I understood the "construction" of roofs better in Chief Architect. I have watched many tutorials, but my real job keeps from diligently practicing what I learn. I'll keep at it and try not to be too embarrassing in this forum! Haha! Thank you again!