best way to do a roof over an exterior below ground staircase?

SH_Canada

Fire rules require a roof over an exit staircase where there is a window above. For the attached, this means I need a roof over part of my "room" (not the landing, and not the left hand side staircase

currently these two staircases are in one midget room, where the room height is the height of the retaining wall. so i cant just put a roof on

So if I want to put a shed roof on the right hand staircase, what do you think is the best option? split the room and then do a pony wall with a railing, and I should be able to get the railing post at each end automagically?

other option, put a roof on manually and raise the Z, put in two posts and a beam manually

Is there anyway that the roof would just autobuild with a beam, or is that the responsibility of the wall? Maybe put in a wide window and hide the window layer, using the header as a beam?

I also need the 4x4 posts (that hold up the roof) to sit on the inside of the retaining wall to ensure setbacks can be met. (It will be really tight) .so if this can be done automatgically that would be preferred

I cant be the first to be doing this. I did a caport a few months ago which was similar, but there was a lot of manual work.

As a bonus question, if you looks at the second screenshot below the footing stops short of the foundation wall where the stair is, is there a setting to get it to stop at the same place and/or extend past the foundation x inches?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.0bab7aa23a455b1bcd64ec56767f6bc3.png

image.thumb.png.3f0446fd6211730b92cfcd3bb63966a1.png

I'd do it all manually.  Chief is a bugger with mid-level hieghts.  Since you've got things the way you want them, add your roof and posts manually and move on.

Question 2-- Wouldn't that wall return to the foundation?  The sides have to be retained too?  To your point, I agree the footing should extend around the end of the fountation wall.  You could try an invisible wall at the end, or return the foundation and make that invisible.  I'm not at my computer, just throwing out a few thoughts.

I don’t know what climate zone you’re in but I would have to extend my foundation walls another 54” below the bottom riser of your exterior staircase (a frost pit), and a drain. 

Also you can build a roof plane in the middle of the solar system for all Chief is concerned. Just move it wherever and add posts and beams separately if you want or use p-solids to create those. 

If you want the auto roof to build your roof then build an exterior room and define its floor elevation, roof and ceiling height as per usual. 

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems pretty standard. 

2 hours ago, MoeGia said:

Question 2-- Wouldn't that wall return to the foundation?  The sides have to be retained too? 

good question, normally there is only one stair case and the one end wraps around. Fortunately the engineer caught it, it came back from the engineer with no wall either. but, he tied it in with the concrete steps which are then tied into the wall

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I don’t know what climate zone you’re in but I would have to extend my foundation walls another 54” below the bottom riser of your exterior staircase (a frost pit), and a drain.

This is an interesting thing which is done here. it is technically not a foundation wall, but a retaining wall. The other thing is the basement frost wall ends at the bottom of the stair, but no one seems to require it get extended down (as now the frost wall is only 8 inches below the open air) when adding these types of entrances.