Rain screen furring (framing): How to get it to all go on its own layer?

GeneDavis

Is there a secret to this?  I like the feature, that we can have this second framing layer in a wall, but if I want to do a 3D framing overview, I don't want the rainscreen furring to clutter up the model image.  In 3D one can select a piece at a time, or shift-select a handful, and assign to another layer, but it's gonna be tedious doing this all around.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, GeneDavis said:

Is there a secret to this?

There certainly is. Just don't show furring as framing!! For those who insist on attempting to model framing as accurately as possible, be prepared to do a lot of additional work. Chief provides good, basic modeling for basic material takeoffs and visualization. What Chief does not do is provide accurate wall framing details automatically. These will always require user input.

The fastest way to change the layer of most of your furring is in plan view, using the Framing Set of layers. Select one furring stud, then use the match properties tool to select all others with similar properties. This will trigger turning off auto framing, and it will not select horizontal framing members which are not shown in plan view.

Another method may be to use a customized framing material that is partially transparent, however this won't really clean up any rendering technique that uses lines.

I'd suggest that for anyone whose plan sets don't actually include wall framing plans for each wall, accept the fact that Chief cannot read our minds and does not have a setting for all the different scenarios that exist.

For those who like to work for free, and waste time at the computer as opposed to doing something valuable with those minutes or hours, keep calm and carry on!

It's also worth noting that for those attempting to show the framing accurately, you may also want to come to grip with the fact that you may think it's accurate but you've got a lot of things wrong anyways. But I digress...

There's a workaround that's not too bad.

Since I cannot spec a layer for framing in a wall framing layer at wall def time, nor after a wall is built (in the wall spec dialog), Chief gives a path in the wall detail.

Wall detail is a special kind of 2D view that allows extensive 3D editing of all framing.  If you frame a wall you've defined as having a framing layer (the array of spacer pieces that form the air vent cavity), that "framing" is in its own elevation view above the wall framing.  Shift-select a box to open the whole array for spec, and change the layer.  Mine's called "Framing, Rainscreen Spacer."

Now a 3D framing overview can show only the structural framing, or all if one wants to see the furring.

Since rainscreen's only done on exterior walls, it only takes minutes to march through the wall details and do this edit.