1 hour fire rated room

I am looking for some clear guidance on constructing a 1 hour fire rated room in my basement. I am installing a solar array and battery storage system. The battery storage system says it should be installed in an area that has a 1 hour fire rating. I plan to build a simple 4' x 4' room in my basement to contain the unit. I am capable to frame out and install drywall, but I am sure there are a few specific details around meeting the 1 hour fire rating that I need to research in advance.

My current plan is to use PT lumber for any boards touching the concrete floor or block wall. 5/8" X rated drywall for all the walls (inside and outside the room). I plan to use 2x4s to fur out the ceiling of the room so the drywall isn't in direct contact with the floor joist above. A single 32 or 36" fire rated door will be installed opposite the battery cabinet.

Any good resources that don't get too technical (from a legal-ese wording) that anyone could point me to? I would like to take a good swing at building it correctly before the inspector comes out. 

Lots info on the internet, look at the UL site.

The ceiling may need more attention, i.e. steel channels.

The door is usually 45 min rated.

Any penetrations in walls & ceilings will need fire rated treatments (fire caulk or dampers for ventilation ducts)

The batteries often give off a combustible gas so ventilation will be needed.

Consider a suppression system, maybe Halon along with your smoke & co2 & heat sensors.

Be cautious with a bomb in the basement.

BTW the gas given off by batteries is flammable.

You many be using sealed lead acid but someone may replace them in the future.

Good luck..

Their are very specific building codes regarding energy systems in R-3 structures.

Im in NYS but my codes are very similar to ICC:

Firecode Section 12 - Energy Systems is a good place to start

I strongly encourage the battery storage install be moved outside the house to a detached shed whenever possible.

• Upvote 1