attic walls

winterdd

Plan file is too big to upload. But why does chief auto generate incomplete attic walls. When you pull the grips to extend, it goes nuts. This is one thing I haven't mastered in the software yet. The roof is auto built as well.

image.thumb.png.1ffff4bbbe845d926eb5a1fe60e240e9.png

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

But why does chief auto generate incomplete attic walls

There is probably not an exterior wall below it. Main floor plan view, turn off auto-roof, place a point at the gable, move to attic level, turn on reference display, drag attic wall to point.

Yeah I see what you are saying. It's a dutch gable so if I line up the attic wall with the front exterior wall the roof won't leave any space for the exposed gable with a 9:12 pitch. I need those windows in the gable too. How do they build this in the field? It's like floating attic wall??

19 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

How do they build this in the field? It's like floating attic wall??

If you use trusses, there would be a structural truss with vertical gable studs between the stress members / top & bottom chords. 

If you use rafters, there would be a gable end wall framed between ceiling joists and roof rafters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

If you use trusses, there would be a structural truss with vertical gable studs between the stress members / top & bottom chords. 

If you use rafters, there would be a gable end wall framed between ceiling joists and roof rafters.

You forgot the skyhook method...

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

I went ahead and made some changes and slid the dutch gable back over the front exterior wall and it actually looks decent. Too much of a headache the other way.