driveway will not show on camera view

SHCanada2

I can draw a driveway on the terrain in 3d overview but it does not show up in 3D. I can see it on the plan view.

I then created a brand new house with foundation, and i could draw the driveway and see it in 3d. But once I adjusted the building elevations to the ones I had in the other plan (top of main floor is at 33") , and set the terrain to manual, I cant see a new driveway once I draw a new one in 3d (although I can see the original). I then moved the main floor back to 0" and then drew a new driveway in 3d, but I cannot see that one either, only the original

Anyone seen this issue?

you can see the many times i tried below. but the 3d only shows the original. if i look "under" the terrain, it is not there either. demo plan attached

image.thumb.png.555672e6d17577b8d08a58c6842182e8.png

image.thumb.png.18c6ca2a46c461a9bb75bfc4d855041b.png

image.thumb.png.aface94d25846ed3c5e7cacd72afbf17.png

image.png

driveway.plan

found the problem "auto rebuild terrain" must be checked, or user must manually build the terrain.

elevation of building is irrelevant.

The user doc is silent that this affects driveways, unless one is to know that driveways is "elevation data"

Building the Terrain

When terrain is generated, Chief Architect gathers all elevation data that has been added to the model and creates a terrain surface. The program interpolates the data to produce smooth contours.

A terrain perimeter with no additional elevation data drawn within it generates terrain that is flat at the elevation 0' - 0", or sea level.

Select Terrain> Driveway> Straight Driveway, then click and drag a line within the Terrain Perimeter. Multiple driveway sections can be connected together.

Driveways really aren't "elevation data", but they are part of the terrain.

If anything is changed on the terrain, the terrain needs to be rebuilt.

You can leave Auto Rebuilt Terrain toggled on (preferable), or you can manually rebuild the terrain to update it.

The give away that you need to rebuild the terrain is the terrain icon attached to the cursor.

Also from the help file:

By default, the terrain rebuilds automatically when road objects are added, removed or edited. If it does not, you can select Terrain> Build Terrain .

3 hours ago, glennw said:

The give away that you need to rebuild the terrain is the terrain icon attached to the cursor.

and here i thought it was my graphics card. good to know, thanks

3 hours ago, glennw said:

By default, the terrain rebuilds automatically when road objects are added, removed or edited. If it does not, you can select Terrain> Build Terrain .

i suppose i wasnt expecting to not see it show on the 3d when I add it in 3d. especially when there are lots of videos out there showing thats how it works. I fiddled around for an hour or so thinking it was a layer problem. The above states the terrain is rebuilt when a road is added, it doesnt imply to see the road, the terrain needs to be rebuilt. as a poor analogy, I do not need to rebuild the wall framing to see the cabinet attached to the wall.

anywho glad it is sorted out

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

The above states the terrain is rebuilt when a road is added, it doesnt imply to see the road, the terrain needs to be rebuilt.

The help file says "by default......"

By default, Auto rebuild Terrain is toggle on.

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

as a poor analogy, I do not need to rebuild the wall framing to see the cabinet attached to the wall.

Yes, I agree, a poor analogy.

A better one would be that if you change any of the wall framing settings, nothing happens until you rebuild wall framing.

A driveway is an integral part of the terrain.

Better just to leave auto rebuild terrain toggled on.