JamesKCI

Roof Plan Roof Plane Display

Hey all,

Sorry for the slight tongue-twister of a title. I'm here with another novice question.

When creating roof plans to send to layout, I'm running into an issue. After I choose to display all of my roof planes on the same level, they appear as though the program is deliberately displaying the lower roof planes on top of those that should be above. I've attached a couple snips showing an example of how one of my roof plans is drafted and another two with what that plan looks like in plan view. It's in the roof plan view but it looks the same regardless of the layer set I use.

Much Obliged

Rear Side Snip.jpg

Rear Roof Plan Snip.jpg

Rear Roof Plan Snip Unselected.jpg

Maybe you could try selecting the larger roof plane and move it to the front?  Just a guess.  You might look at fills and transparency as well.

25 minutes ago, JamesKCI said:

Hey all,

Sorry for the slight tongue-twister of a title. I'm here with another novice question.

When creating roof plans to send to layout, I'm running into an issue. After I choose to display all of my roof planes on the same level, they appear as though the program is deliberately displaying the lower roof planes on top of those that should be above. I've attached a couple snips showing an example of how one of my roof plans is drafted and another two with what that plan looks like in plan view. It's in the roof plan view but it looks the same regardless of the layer set I use.

Much Obliged

Or...set up your "roof plan view" to use a custom ref set that displays the lower roof lines. You can define the line weight, color and style in the ref set for the lower roof lines however you want to...and, if you set it to display in your saved plan view it'll always show (unless you toggle it off using the F9 key)

2021-02-09_10-20-53.thumb.png.ac74955869288a388d0eef4c7fa64db5.png

• Upvote 2

On 2/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, CJSpud said:

Maybe you could try selecting the larger roof plane and move it to the front?  Just a guess.  You might look at fills and transparency as well.

Hmm. I somehow COMPLETELY missed that command when I was sorting through them. This did the trick! Thank you so much.

20 minutes ago, JamesKCI said:

Hmm. I somehow COMPLETELY missed that command when I was sorting through them. This did the trick! Thank you so much.

The "draw order" tool is a quick fix, which we all need from time to time and it'll give you the result you want for now - however, if you invest a little time to adjust the "roof plan" saved plan view and create a custom reference layer set ...you will save yourself a lot of time and frustration. It will work every time you draw a plan...without even thinking about it. :)

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JonathanWilliams
    Newest Member
    JonathanWilliams

• By DJohnsonSC
      I am trying to create a story and a half main house that has a two story gable roof addition.  I have been able to create the story and a half with a 1 story addition but can't figure out how to add a second story to the addition.  The main part of the house has a 10/12 roof (created by build roof options: move roof up 12', ignore 2nd floor).  The goal is to have the main roof 10/12 and the 2 story addition a 6/12 gable.

Pics below are a quick mockup. One showing the successful story and a half w addition.  The other a bit more unusual configuration that I may not be able to get past the building inspector.
      Thanks in advance for any help provided.

• By Sunnyfields
      I am doing a remodel and have created a separate existing building file and am using it as an underlay to show where walls are being removed: 
      BUT, when I export the views to layout, they all default to the last view I export. Here I export the first floor:

So far so good. Here are the settings:

Then it all goes awry. This is what happens when I export the second floor:

And now the third...

This only happens with this one plan. Could using the plan reference be messing things up? Has anyone seen this before? 

Chief Premier X12
      Intel Core i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz
      64.0 GB RAM
      64 Bit OS x64 based processor
      Windows 10 Pro

• By HGran83
      Hi, we have a split level home with 2 (meaning double) 2 x 4 exterior walls with a 3.5” air gap in between them for a total (rough) wall thickness of 10.5”. The home has 3 separate roof heights, all with a 5:12 pitch. The home is in central Minnesota (the reason behind the thick walls). I’m just getting started with Home Designer Pro and not sure how to start. I’ve watched some videos, but nothing that would help duplicate our wall design. Do you have some training materials that would help, or someone who could get it started on the software? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    • By woodcraftdesign
      using live camera views in layout, how do I change the size of these in the layout sheet.  I would like my renderings to measure 12" wide but I cannot change the size. Probly just an oversight on my part.  
    • By kylejmarsh
      How can I speed up layout? Seems ridiculous that moving some text WITHIN LAYOUT and not even touching my synced viewports has such an awful lag time. I have a fast computer and the modeling is plenty smooth. I also have used lots of other cad software and even old, clunky dried-up CAD software doesn't have the terrible lag that working in Layout has. 

I've devised ways around it - trying to do everything in my model and nothing or as little as possible in Layout - but this is just bad and seems unnecessary. What is going on within the code when moving text like this takes a few seconds?

Is this common or am I an outlier? I've posted a video of the lag time here - can anybody else corroborate this lag? Is it time for a (nother) computer upgrade, or will even DeepBlue have a similar lag time? Is it some secret setting within chief that is slowing me down like this?

Screen Recording 2021-03-01 at 3.31.31 PM.mov Screen Recording 2021-03-01 at 3.23.19 PM.mov