UTF8 characters support

Nicu101268

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Sorry, but I don't think Chief supports that functionality.  In fact, I've never actually seen it put into use anywhere.

It is a rich text option and it also seems to be hard coded into the software but that is C++ is it not ?

16 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It is a rich text option and it also seems to be hard coded into the software but that is C++ is it not ?

Typing the character in a text field or using it in text macros (simple string replacement) is probably a lot different. In my own personal experience, I've found that you can manipulate left to right spacing (bearings/kerning) at the font level but line spacing and feeding (with the sole exception of a newline) is always controlled by the application.  The application may or may not use Unicode characters to represent the line spacing but it's not something the end user can do using control characters. At least that is my experience.

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Typing the character in a text field or using it in text macros (simple string replacement) is probably a lot different. In my own personal experience, I've found that you can manipulate left to right spacing (bearings/kerning) at the font level but line spacing and feeding (with the sole exception of a newline) is always controlled by the application.  The application may or may not use Unicode characters to represent the line spacing but it's not something the end user can do using control characters. At least that is my experience.

It seems that U+008B is used for font positioning but can also control an entire line of text if necessary but I can't be sure since I can't seem to get it to work.  Ruby seems to recognize it as UTF-8 but does not know what to do with it.  It should be as simple as = "\u{0A 8B}"  or at least I would like it to be but you may be right.  It is just frustrating to do all the research and not get anywhere with it.  If there was a users manual that said "Don't Bother" that would sure save a lot of time. :(

45 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It is just frustrating to do all the research and not get anywhere with it.  If there was a users manual that said "Don't Bother" that would sure save a lot of time. :(

It won’t work in Excel, Word, Notepad, Mozilla Firefox, or anywhere else I know of either and none of them mention it in their manuals.  I suspect because it makes little sense telling people everything they can’t do...particular when it’s something the software wasn’t intended to be used for or when it’s a regarding a subject that was really only designed to be utilized at the developer level (i.e. NOT by the end user).