Cabinets with ovens flush to face other than those designed that way

MarkMc

This came up the other day and @CherylD asked me about it. Thought it might be useful for others. I generally do not do videos, this is no exception. IF someone else wants to be my guest.

I did include notes in each cabinet to give you an idea.

If unfamiliar with adjusting symbols look in the help or reference manual for custom symbols, stretch planes and zones. When I was learning this stuff I kept a print out of all relevant pages from the reference manual handy. There can be a lot of trial and error when working with symbols. Even if you are not a dyslexic as I am it can be difficult to remember you need a plus or a minus, challenging to tell how much offsets are needed AND note that when making symbols that are offset to one side of the other the program  is dyslexic too!! What looks like a symbol you would place on the left will actually work better on the right.

As always open every object and inspect every setting in the DBX. Open every symbol and do the same. IMO it's a very good way to get a handle on these. YMMV  :)

So for your non listening pleasure here are an assortment of methods to place an oven flush to the doors of a cabinet. They all consider that someone actually has to build the cabinet in some reasonable fashion. That means the the depth of the actual appliances door matters as to which works.

Honestly I never do this unless I am using an appliance that is specifically designed for it like a Wolf or Sub Zero THOSE ARE DONE DIFFERENTLY than these. I do sometimes/often put a frame around an oven. I also often will bother to make the opening correct though that can be done faster in a CAD detail so it depends on how much of a whiner you want to be.

Note for cabinet #3 where only door symbols are added to the left and right of the oven- those work best designated as "Door Panel" and do not appear to work properly if they are designated as "side panel applied"

image.thumb.png.7a77ff26a6513acc0b3b198f13f59bb7.pngimage.thumb.png.aad35ce36895f53515dad1fe5a807b21.png

Below are some views of what is noted in the comments of cabinet #4, followed by a zipped plan file.

106883283_Cabinet4.thumb.png.3e6867bff8606b1d3a016bfb5c6b6b6d.png

Flush Ovens.zip

@MarkMc, what are your thoughts about placing items, like built-in ovens as stand-alone items, instead of inserting them into a cabinet? This is my preferred method, although I draw home plans, not kitchen plans. I prefer to keep the fixture or appliance on its own layer, as well as to have control over its label. I also prefer to see a cabinet with an opening instead of with an oven...because the cabinet doesn't actually come with an oven, does it?!