Sign in to follow this  
RVBarn

Rotating a Cad Block

I feel like I am missing something obvious but I created a cad block in the default xy plane (a metal roof truss) but I need to rotate it into the yz plane in my plan. How do I go about doing this?

Copy and past into an elevation view and then go back to plan view and rotate if necessary maybe ??   Not perfectly cleat on what you are up to really.

I tried that but there is no rotation available in elevation view - can move it but no rotation. 

Please check your messages, and tell us more about you have done, and what you are trying to do.

Images are very helpful.

To clarify, I created the attached truss using polyline solids and then grouped them into an architectural block and saved it to my library. When I place it into my plan it is in the xy plane when inserted. I am trying to rotate it 90 degrees into the xy plane so it is in the yz plane (think ceiling plane vs wall plane). I probably need to create it differently but I cannot figure out if there is a way to create a polyline solid in a different plane. Using CA x12. 

Truss.jpg

If it's the correct size as is, you can create a symbol, then rotate the symbol.

31 minutes ago, RVBarn said:

To clarify, I created the attached truss using polyline solids and then grouped them into an architectural block and saved it to my library. When I place it into my plan it is in the xy plane when inserted. I am trying to rotate it 90 degrees into the xy plane so it is in the yz plane (think ceiling plane vs wall plane). I probably need to create it differently but I cannot figure out if there is a way to create a polyline solid in a different plane.

If you would rather not convert to a symbol you can unblock and convert back to a Plain Polyline then cut and paste to elevation view and convert back to psolid and set depth.

I have done many of these trusses and I always create them in section view. That way you can set the pitch in the same view they are drawn in. I then create a symbol using a 3D view. I add them to my user library and I don't have to create them again for a project with the same building size and roof pitch.

One tip: I create a large slab or polyline solid first to be used as the "backstop" for the truss parts. That way the components will build in front of the backstop. I simply delete the backstop before making the symbol.