breaking up a Shed roof long span

rck-tech

Hi guys, 

I am looking for ideas and suggestions. as you see in the attached image, I have this shed roof, the rafter is 27 feet long. I would like to run a beam somewhere in the middle or above plumb with the loft railing. 

Any suggestion how would I go about doing that. I am opened to any ideas and suggestion including keeping it as is, but 27 feet long is making me uncomfortable 

Please be a little descriptive as far as the CA command sequence please.

Thank you.

SpanQuestion.JPG

If you run a bearing line in the middle and rebuild your floor framing then Chief will split that span for you along that bearing line.
Then you can decide if you want butt ends or overlapping joists. 

1) Make sure you’re on the right floor level

2) Menu->  - Build

- Framing

- Bearing Line
(draw your bearing line across your floor)

3) Menu-> -Build

- Build Framing...

- Select Floor

- Check the box for “Build Floor Framing”

(Chose spacing, lap or butt over etc...

- hit “ok”

tada!

(that’s if I understood what you were looking for)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Make sure you’re on the right floor level

thank you Michael,

well, I am trying to cut the roof rafter to over lap over the bearing beam, so what floor I should on . my issue also is how would do I rest the beam at the ends.

The more I use CA the better at it I am getting but still there are things I am having hard time mastering.  

I’m out of my league on this one. I thought you were doing floor framing. 

The last time I did a flat roof like that, I just drew one rafter and then use the “multiple copy tool to get my rafters.

Then I use the “roof blocking” to draw in a beam. (It’s just easier for me)

Then I select my roof blocking line and use the “trim objects” tool to trim my rafters to that point.

Copy the newly trimmed set of rafters and then “copy in place” and reflect about. 

Extend and modify the rafters to fit the roof plane. 

This is a very manual way to do what you’re looking for and not very efficient, probably. 

Sorry. 

13 hours ago, rck-tech said:

well, I am trying to cut the roof rafter to over lap over the bearing beam, so what floor I should on . my issue also is how would do I rest the beam at the ends.

Work on second floor. Support posts will generate when framing wall-redo framing for those walls. Doesn't want  to lap over the beam so trim all to one side of beam (at least I can't get it lap),

image.thumb.png.128136dd3c5b3236b604f6085d4c405b.png

then copy the remainders and point to point move them. IF you beam is not centered will need to adjust lengths- trim or extend.

image.thumb.png.be322482fcd83c334ab5202c400ef38d.png