SNestor

VIDEO LESSON: Molding Polylines

A really quick video on how you can use a single molding polyline and create a custom column with a stone base in just minutes. Create a symbol, add some stretch planes and save it to you library to use over and over. 

• Upvote 4

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sarabaayt
    Newest Member
    sarabaayt

• By SNestor
      How to make brick sill moldings in Chief X11...

• By pj42pj42
      I'm creating the built-in eave-gutters as they are on my house.

I started with a rough approximation of the cross-section in CAD.

Then pasted the polyline into an elevation view and converted to solid.  

Now I'm joining two of them at a corner into a mitre joint.  I've been looking for a way to do this but so far no luck. I looked for something like a break-line function as I did for roof planes but I don't see anything.  I looked for something like the meet roof planes function but I don't see anything like it.

Also, there's a piece of tin that goes on top that forms the trough.  I made that a separate CAD element because it will be a different material.  

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. 

I've also looked for more CAD videos but haven't found much other than the trellis video from Derek that was sent to me. Extremely helpful!  Also, the CAD tutorial from help but I didn't find much there.  And, a few discussions about mitre joints in the Q&A but I couldn't extrapolate to my situation.

These are the tools I get at the bottom of the screen and have tried to see if they could help.

I've tried the Perspective view editing as well as the Full Overview editing above.

This is a view of the actual gutter showing the tin trough.

Pedro

Plot3V5.plan
    • By PerryPlansPro
      Any pattern I use only shows up in standard view. I have a column with a tapered stone base. I used a 3D molding polyline to create the stone base. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how the program works?
    • By nerdland
      I'm using Home Designer Architectural, so I don't have the ability to make customized moldings and profiles. (as far as I can tell.) This is annoying me quite a bit on railings, because Home Designer doesn't come with VERY basic shape profiles for the railings. Square is generally the default for railings, although this doesn't seem to be consistent. And either way, I don't have a "square" profile to choose from, even though I CAN apply profiles to the railings.

Are there any resources for Home Designer users to expand their options in this regard?  I got like 3 profiles with the AZEK catalog from the 3D Library, but that's basically all I have. I really just want some VERY basic railing profiles. Square, round, and maybe like a half-circle. Everything else is obviously intended to be used as a molding, and looks ridiculous on railings.

Also -- is there a way to copy molding/railing profiles I come across, or save them to my library? I can do it with objects and materials, but I don't think I can do this with profiles in Home Designer. This is also annoying, because I've found profiles that I want to steal in example files, but I can't seem to extract them.
    • By nerdland
      I'm using Home Designer Architectural, so I don't have the ability to make customized moldings and profiles. (as far as I can tell.) This is annoying me quite a bit on railings, because Home Designer doesn't come with VERY basic shape profiles for the railings. Square is generally the default for railings, although this doesn't seem to be consistent. And either way, I don't have a "square" profile to choose from, even though I CAN apply profiles to the railings.

Are there any resources for Home Designer users to expand their options in this regard?  I got like 3 profiles with the AZEK catalog from the 3D Library, but that's basically all I have. I really just want some VERY basic railing profiles. Square, round, and maybe like a half-circle. Everything else is obviously intended to be used as a molding, and looks ridiculous on railings.