Sync Laptop files with Desktop

Electromen

There's been a lot of discussion lately about laptops & tablets.  I recently purchased a MacBook Pro laptop, I also have a Mac Pro Desktop.

Now the files on each one are Synced.  I can open a Plan on one, create a new plan, make changes, create new folders and documents, then save to the hard drive.  When I get the the other computer, all the changes are there on the other computer's HD.  My complete Documents folder matches on each computer.  I can also open these documents on my iPhone and iPad.  Of course CA isn't on the phone but I can open all the PDF and other documents.  This also works with Windows.  I'm using it on my wife's PC to back up and sync photographs.  

I'm using a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra.  I purchased it with two internal - 2TB HDs, larger ones are available.   It plugs into my internet router or switch with Cat5/Ethernet.

From the My Cloud web site, which is free, I can make changes, open files, save etc. from anywhere internet is available.  For a phone or Tablet, there's an App.

Western Digital suggests using 3rd Party software called GoodSync.  The cost is $30/yr for the subscription. I use Good Sync at home.  Both computers copy their  hard drives to the My Cloud EX2 Ultra via WiFi or Ethernet.  Each one syncs with it and changes are made to each computers HD.  The newest file is the one synced.  

Now I can take the laptop onto the job site, make changes, then open the drawing on the desktop and the changes are there.  I can also created invoices and other documents and they are on both computers.  One advantage to this, it's a great backup.  Not only are the files on two computers, they are also stored on the My Cloud device.  I'm using one of the My Cloud internal HDs for the Macs, the other one is used for my wife's PC.

Exact same setup and though I have a professional DROBO NAS network hard drive that I use to do my time machine backups to at home on the network both of my devices (almost same specs as your machines) I use icloud mapped for both of my hard drives for both computers, as long as I allow a few minutes between using one or the other the hard drives are automatically synced and updated.  The good thing is that since I use my laptop while traveling mostly, my desktop can sync while I am gone and I never have to worry about it.  I get to my destination open my laptop change Chief over to it through the portal and bam there are all of my files.  

As most know I am a strong proponent for Apple devices and that is because it just works! :)  But now sounds like there is a good option for PC that you have found.  I know lots use dropbox, Google Drive, One drive or others and I use or have used all of these as well.  For me personally I use apple's iCloud for my own stuff and use dropbox mostly for the clients that I collaborate with.  I do use google drive with one client but he seldom uses the plan files as he is so busy he farms most stuff directly to me, but honestly I have seen more issues with google drive not syncing properly so I just use it as a file sharing option and keep a local copy of everything for him. 

Gotta love technology!