Dimension to Underside of Siding

mattradk

I am using CAX6 and am trying to get the exterior dimensions of a residential structure to reach to the extent just under the siding. From inside to outside, the exterior wall should have 1/2" wallboard, 2x6 stud walls, 1/2" OSB, 2" rigid insulation, and then siding for which I've allowed 1/2". All of the wall components will sit on the platform except for the siding, which should cover the rim joists.

I believe I have the correct dialog box and selections to do it (or maybe not …. see attached screen shot). However, after I make the selections in the Wall Type Definitions dialog box and back out of the dialog boxes leading there, I find that the cross section is incorrect, and the outside of the siding is flush with the platform. If I return to the Wall Type Definitions dialog box to find out why, I find that my selections have not been saved.

I'm careful to make sure that I back out of each dialog box correctly (Clicking OK, OK, Done, etc.) but the changes I make are not saved.

There's probably something I need to select or conditions I have to meet, but darned if I can figure them out after hours of messing with it.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!

Dimension to Inside of Siding.jpg

Time to upgrade from your really old version.

Why do you have the two 1/2" layers marked as Main Layers - that doesn't look correct.

Your main layer should be the 5 1/2" stud layer.

Post the plan. 

Thanks for your responses. It appears that using Siding-6 instead of Frame-5-1/2 allowed me to do what I needed to do.  It's been a couple of years since I used this program so I'm back at the bottom of the learning curve.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pbb17t
    Newest Member
    pbb17t

• By SNestor
      Using X13. Have "framing default" checked for "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing"...but, as you can see in the picture below it's not working. I have auto framing walls turned on...experimented with the joist direction...didn't seem to have an effect. 

I'm on a MAC...maybe this is a reason? Does anybody know if this new feature in X13 actually works? 

Thanks!

• By EMBARC
      Hi all! I have recently upgraded from X11 to X13 and have found a wee niggle when showing dimensions. Previously, I could show an internal dimension with the markers indicating the outer wall as a reference (to ensure the reader that the dimension is internal). When I click the dimension line they appear, but when I click off they disappear.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

• By CaddCreations
      The lengths of framing members in schedules, i.e. rafters, joists, etc appear to be expressed in fractional inches by default.
      Can that be changed to be expressed in feet and fractional inches.
    • By Travis-Garcia
      I cannot seem to figure out how to make this exposed gable have the same shiplap siding on it that the house has. I built the patio piece by piece using framing members and added roof planes and ceiling planes then added the gable. Now II cannot figure out how to add siding. 

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2021

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Hi, could someone check the attached plan. For some reason when I switch to Perspective framing overview, my layer set does not change with that, it stays as floor plan layer set. I spend a lot of time to figure out. Gave up. I know I can change the layer set to 3D framing layer set. But why it does not change by default. Could someone let me know where is the settings for that? Plan file attached for reference
      221004.plan