Stucking With Sophisticated Classic Cabinets

mealexmail

Dear colleagues

I've got big issues with this kind if cabinet desgn.

I am struggeling to make this cabinet design in CA.

Please refer to picture attached where i marked all the elements aren't clear for me.

I am not such green using CA but have not ever got such sophisticated design task till today ((

How can I solve:

a) terminal frame

b/ shelves with balusters

c) deco-columns with caps

d) cabinet front styled like a column

I understand that it's much to ask but please)

may be this case will be useful for someone else later .. 

post-1906-0-29300700-1413925588_thumb.jpg

-Shelves with spindle rail- open cabinet with molding polyline-there is a spindle rail in the core catalog

-2 cabinets with capitals- use traditional overlay and set top rail wide- look in library for capitals. White River catalog has one that may work for you.

-Columns at bumped out cabinet- make cabinet deeper- add fillers to each side set back to other cabinets- place legs (fluted) may want to rummage the mfg catalogs.

-Cabinets on corner- I think I'd make them with 3d molding polyline for the face frame, a seperate back made from a (partition, cabinet with blank front, p-solid) item of your choice and then place the fluted column in there- I may be tricky to get the base and top blocks that small, oversize the column and bury it in the face frame

-Moldings- are a crown with an applied detail- might use and "egg and dart" (whtie river)

Note that some of these items may start to slow down your 3d views. There may be better spindle rails and a closer option than the egg and dart but be careful. Those can be killers to 3d

If you need these to look more realistic (with caution noted above) find out who the maker is and see if they are available in a format that can be imported.

• Upvote 1

I noted catalogs in the post- white river has capitals- download it if you don't have it. Not exact but good.

Art for Everyday has 3d dwg files here

More legs available adams wood products, estate custom collection, huntwood, classic designs by Matthew Burak (under columns this may be your best choice for that)

I noted -egg and dart molding- white river, mouser

BUT

after a second look it appears to be a rope molding- several mfg cats have that-decora, canyon creek, too many to list

• Upvote 1

Dennis, Mark, thanks a lot for your attention!

So, the things are: thanks to your toughts I did three of four tasks pointed in the beginning.

a) shelves with balusters - using decorative spindles (from Bonus catalog) and moving it to the shelves and making architecture block with cabinet then

b/ deco-columns - here I used 2 ways: filler (if I need extended elements, bold columns) and cabinet acessory as pilaster if I need narrow decorative element

c) moldings .. I found it useful to combine two methods: common molding profile (angled) plus 3d molding (i.e. dart&eggs) beneath

Terminal frame - big pain =) doing it in Sketchup after all .. I was fraked out by CA in this point .. things are:

1) If you want to do it modifying cabinet - CA doesn't allow to remove walls in the cabinet

2) if you want to make a frame by molding polyline - its big deal to biuld 3-dimensional polyline here .. plus you get pain combininig it together with columns and shelves .. and of course you won't get it in plans and schedules as cabinet

Shelves , top and bottom shelves at 1.5" , back ans side as partitions , columns as noted earler, face frame is two seperate 3 d molding lines. All of that took 10-15 minutes

But the 3d molding liines that is another story- played with it for an hour-best I could get is here...

The intersection of the molding lines don't get reall neat, cant miter them and could not figur out how to  make it work as a single 3d line going in all 3 planes?? thought that was possible, maybe someone smarter can chime in here.

Attached plan so you can dissect it.

post-85-0-16138200-1414263352_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dear Mark

First of all thank you so much for spending your time!

You wrote:

The intersection of the molding lines don't get reall neat, cant miter them and could not figur out how to  make it work as a single 3d line going in all 3 planes?? thought that was possible, maybe someone smarter can chime in here.

So this is what I told about combining this 3d molding lines to one 3d-oriented profile .. I couldnt create such thing .. 

Thanks a lot for the plan you sent.

BTW nice idea to use cabinet->partitions for the cabinet side walls .. dont know why but I used shape->solid .. 

I noted catalogs in the post- white river has capitals- download it if you don't have it. Not exact but good.

Art for Everyday has 3d dwg files here

Interestingly enough, just today I attempted to download the 3D file for this specific leg: http://www.artforeveryday.com/shop/standard/legs/LEG-ORBWM and the only thing that showed up was the sphere portion, NOT attached to a leg!  Something got lost in translation.  I sometimes find that mfr. files are not 100% reliable when you download them, or otherwise have glitches that you have to repair before they are usable.

I had a client come in right after I imported the file so haven't had time to mess around with it to see if I can make it right. 

I've got a couple of lambs tongue edges in my library. Don’t remember how they were acquired or made. Not very good since I don't really understand stretch planes but have slapped em on the end on occasion.

Sure it's a word, ever had filleted flounder ;)