Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    oldmillhomes
    Newest Member
    oldmillhomes

• By Walt_Alaska
      New to CA Architect 2021. Doing an addition that includes an attic room. I'm having trouble matching the roof and cieling deminsions for that area. It includes a flat and angled cieling plus pony walls that are also exterior walls. See the sketch with finished interior deminsions. Any help is appreciated.

• By JLU_Design
      I'm having an issue with how the roof layers populate in Chief Architect.
      I want the roof "surface layers" to all be above the "fascia top height".
      Right now it always starts the roof "Surface Layers" 7/16" below the "Roof Plane Line".
      When building we align the outside corner of the face-board with the top plane of the "roof structure", Trusses or Rafters which should be the roof plane line.
      The OSB, Underlayment, and Shingles rest on top & outside of the face-board / "fascia top height" that is aligned with the top of the roof structure.
      Chief Architect consistently lowers the roof structure 7/16" (in plane with the roof surface) from the "Fascia Top Height" no mater the pitch.
      In order to get things to work I have to add a 7/16" layer to the "Roof Surface" and Subtract 7/16" from the "Roof Structure" (e.g. rafters) in order for the cross section to show the layers correctly.
      This works for any pitch meaning that the roof is dropped 7/16" (in plane) with the roof surface.
      The reason this is important is because I need to show Fascia Top Height in Elevation Dimensions and if I have to shrink the framing members, they are not modeled / sized correctly.
      I'd like to know if there's any way to adjust this default "Fulcrum" without the hackey way I'm doing it.
      I want to be able to specify the fascia top height and have roof planes properly populate from that point.

It's important to note that in this image both "Fascia Top Heights" are the same with the only difference between the two being the one on the left is a 7/12 and the one on the right is a 4/12.
      Where the green lines intersect represents the "Fulcrum" that the roof revolves around at the outside of the face-board by default and the red line shows the default top of the "Roof Structure".
      I have to add a 7/16" layer between these planes in-order to get the OSB to be above the green roof plane line & top of face-board.
      The roof "Structure" is always 7/16" in plane below the "Fascia Top Height" / "where the green lines intersect" by default from what I've been able to figure out.

I'd like to know if I am missing some setting that could change the "Fulcrum" point in relation to the roof layers.
      I've spent allot of time figuring this out but have not found a setting to fix this yet.
    • By allieceravolo
      I am looking for some help on a roof plan I am working on (copying a 2d elevation from an architect) and can't seem to get this to look right! 
      (Also, I don't typically do exterior renderings and thought I would get some practice in - but clearly have no idea what I am doing :))

• By SNestor
      Made a video to describe what I'm wondering...
      I hope the behavior of building the roof using "auto rebuild" is normal Chief behavior - because I have to admit I've never noticed this before today.

Roof Anomaly in Chief - X12 & X13 - Watch Video

• By Travis-Garcia
      I cannot seem to figure out how to make this exposed gable have the same shiplap siding on it that the house has. I built the patio piece by piece using framing members and added roof planes and ceiling planes then added the gable. Now II cannot figure out how to add siding. 

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2021