Please Stop Being Counterproductive

Alaskan_Son

This is an open letter to the person(s) who continue to deride some of us for suggesting that people provide a signature, post their plan, or provide us at least with some screenshots and/or the software version that they're using.

Please consider dropping the attitude.  You're just being rude and its ultimately helping absolutely no one.  We're just trying to help and teach people, that's all, and your pervasive negative vibe is frustrating, discouraging, and even demoralizing.

Without the software version, we oftentimes cannot give a helpful answer.  It's played out many many many times...people are given answers that are completely useless and ultimately a waste of everyone's time because the functionality is totally different in the product being used by the original poster.  In addition, people can't be properly helped if the questions are lacking in crucial details.  Sure we could just ignore the posts, but that doesn't help anyone either. 

Bottom line:  People need to know when they're not providing us with enough information, otherwise they don't get good answers.  When you guys give us down-votes or denigrate us for asking for crucial information you're really not helping anyone...in fact quite the opposite, you're fostering a negative and unproductive environment.   

• Upvote 7

Michael.....what version of software are you running by the way :)

FWIW, totally agree with you.  Just poking fun.  Remember you are dealing with the internet and people love to leave negative feedback.   Thanks for all those who take the time to help others on here.

For years, the only 'help' with chief was reading the manual.  Something everyone should try.

6 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Michael.....what version of software are you running by the way

It's right there in my signature my friend and has been for many years. 

7 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Remember you are dealing with the internet and people love to leave negative feedback.

True, but I know one or 2 of the worst offenders here are long time users who should know better and not your everyday trolls.

I havent been around here as much but need to drop in more often.

From an semi-outside point of view, I am actually amazed at the generosity and patience shown by the regular guys who often help others on here.   I dont think in any way asking for simple basic info is wrong in ANY way.    The fact that you are even asking is part of the process of helping others.

Truth is, sometimes I see questions and my first gut is to tell them to try the 'search' function first. ;)   

Like....how do I mull a transom on a door?   No offense, but we are supposed to be adults here. Many of us make our livings in part with using this software.   I would think if you were going to invest  few thousand dollars, you might at a minimum spend some time with the help videos, or at the most basic level, try a search of the forum.

I can, however, appreciate the quicks of the program.  Having been using it for a long time, I realize how easily I now fix the bugs that I had to spend HOURS searching for solutions.  (Like the ghost fascia board running out to infinity ;) ).   Point being, is I learned from trying to fix them.

FWIW, I consider myself pretty decent at finding ways to get things done in Chief.....BUT>>>>I am still blown away at some of the inventive ways you approach things.  Much respect man.  You are very talented.

26 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

BUT>>>>I am still blown away at some of the inventive ways you approach things.  Much respect man.  You are very talented.

My sentiments exactly. Kudos to you and so many others on this forum willing to help all of us learn how to use this software more efficiently and how to deal with some of its quirks. You guys and gals who contribute here make this the best forum I have ever been a part of.

Thanks.

And as MarkMc (Mark) would say, "Fond of the magic key-F1, worth a try eh?"