Roofing adjustment problem

BenjaminZ

I am currently working on the attached plan and, as you will see, it has an almost Dutch Gable but it's more of an A-frame cut into a hip.  I had to widen the plan and make other changes for the customer and I am now having trouble recreating that A-frame roof section centered over the double entry door.   I can use auto-roof and everything comes out ok for the rest of the home, but I have no idea how to get the A-framed section drawn once that is finished. Any idea on what I am missing?    Thank you for any assistance. 

Sanibel_Roof.zip

Just roughly cobbled it together for you here, but there were a lot of inaccuracies in the roof you should look more closely at.
Going forward you might try copying your plan, erasing the whole roof auto-rebuilding it all again then add the dormer, what you're calling an 'A-frame' afterward.  

Sanibel_r1.plan

That roof is the original roof from the plan I am working on.  I did not adjust anything because I wanted to provide the untouched version and the part that I am trying to recreate should look exactly as the gable/dormer with the single window in looks in your render.  I have attached the job file with the roof redone, but I do not know how to go about creating that dormer/gable which I need to center over the front door.  

Sanibel_Hips.zip

Dzin, thank you for the attachment.  What you provided is what I am trying to figure out how to make.   Did you create that using the dormer tool and if so what options did you change to have only the front plane visible? or how did you go about making that ?

See links below for building dormers manually, but also note that for some reason your auto-build roof is creating anomalies per red clouded areas on attached screenshot. You'll need to look at your walls defining the space, make sure they're lining up properly, etc..  

How to manually build dormers

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1521/manually-drawing-dormers.html

This one not relevant to your current situation but good to know...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1520/creating-openings-in-roofs-for-manually-drawn-dormers.html

Sanibel Roof.JPG

21 hours ago, BenjaminZ said:

That roof is the original roof from the plan I am working on.  I did not adjust anything because I wanted to provide the untouched version and the part that I am trying to recreate should look exactly as the gable/dormer with the single window in looks in your render.  I have attached the job file with the roof redone, but I do not know how to go about creating that dormer/gable which I need to center over the front door.  

Sanibel_Hips.zip

I did a video...did things a bit different from Eric to get to the same result.  Maybe you will pick up a few ideas.  Hope it helps.

Steve, Eric and Dzin, I can't thank you all enough for all of your help on this.  My situation is I just started learning Chief a few months ago when I started working here and I inherited all of these production plans that were supposedly perfect and so far they have been anything but.  I guess the last person who worked with these didn't care to learn Chief, hence why I am here LOL, and I have no idea what all they did.  Every plan is a new adventure.  As you saw by the countertop trim outside LOL.  Thank you all so much for the help and all the tips I am picking up along the way.  

Your time is greatly appreciated

Ben

• Like 1