Please help...2 planes meet perfectly in 2D but not in 3D...

rockyshepheard

I am attempting to make a perfect roof by making one plane and saving that file. When perfect I save the file as roof1 and do next plane and save file as roof2.

As usual it seems impossible to even get 2 planes to work both in 2D and 3D simultaneously. So consequently much fudging happens. Not a fan of fudging. I triple checked all of these...
1. Walls have correct dimensions and angles.
2. Roof baselines are in correct position.
3. Roof pitches and fascia heights match.
4. Left-most plane is aligned with vent, window  and front of garage.

Can someone please show me how get these two simple planes to align perfectly in 2D and in 3D (such that my planes do not cross over each other in 2D )?
I have watched all videos on manual roofs and spent hundreds of dollars on CA training but I have never learned hot to successfully do this.
Admittedly, I have not read all of the manual...but some of it.
Thank you for looking.

why these do not meet.jpg

ROOFPLANE2.plan

Oh, I see how they differ in height of 4". I can't see how this could possibly happen.
When you create a plane the baseline height is determined by the wall you place the plane near.
So does this mean the right wall height was 4" below the left wall height?
That should not happen unless a wall is dragged up or down. 
Thanks

You are aptly named. You solved it! Thank you.

What I have learned.
The baseline needs to be the same height AND aligned on the outside edge of the wall.
I just wish I know how a baseline moves up on down without me specifically changing its height it in the roof plane specification DB.
I actually could not even do it there without it modifying one of the two inputs that I demand not change...the fascia top height and the pitch.
If such a differential in the baseline height occurs again, I will simply move it up or down in the Transform/Replicate Object DB.
Thanks again. Happy SuperBowl!

R

14 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

When you create a plane the baseline height is determined by the wall you place the plane near.
So does this mean the right wall height was 4" below the left wall height?
That should not happen unless a wall is dragged up or down. 

This is incorrect.

Strictly speaking, the baseline height is determined from the ceiling height - not the wall height.

The wall height is also determined from the ceiling height.

In fact, you don't even need a wall or room to draw a roof plane.

Try drawing a roof plane in a blank plan or off to the side of your building.

Notice that the baseline height is based on the default floor ceiling height. 

Try drawing a roof plane with one ceiling height.

Change the ceiling height and draw another roof plane.

The original roof plane's height will remain as is (based on the original ceiling height) and the new roof plane will be drawn based on the new ceiling height.

Dragging a wall up and drawing a roof plane will result in the roof plane being drawn based on the ceiling height - not the wall height - the roof height will have nothing to do with the height of the wall.

At some stage between drawing the 2 roof planes, did you change the ceiling height?

Be aware that the baseline height is not the same as the ceiling height - baseline height is

Height of wall top plate (rough ceiling height) + vertical structure depth - birdsmouth depth