Curved Glass Shop Front Windows

blankfrank

Hi

2 posts in the 1 day hope I'm not overdoing it!

I'm working on a shop plan which has large curved glass windows on the front and I can't seem to come up with a workable solution, it's been driving me nuts all day. I thought curved walls would be the go, but I can't get the curved wall to connect to the straight walls so the glass can continue from the straight section around the corner. I've been messing round with half walls as well, but no luck. I've posted a photo of the facade, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks

post-2872-0-58616800-1413210348_thumb.jpg

Got it thanks DS, glad you mentioned that I only just realised that the windows have an arch on the top corners!! Sorry it is a pretty crappy photo, only one I've got unfortunately, but as Joe has just pointed out, I was actually stumped by the fact that the glass runs straight across the front of the building then turns the corner towards the interior of the building where the shop doors are. If you see on the photo it is a curved wall of glass sitting on top of a curved half wall. The major problem I have is that I don't see how to join the curved section of wall to the straight section and therefore I can't make the window stretch across the 2 sections. I'm thinking maybe I need to do some trickery with a slab (with glass as the material) sitting on top of the wall. Any way it's past 2 in the morning here in Australia, think I should go to bed and come back to it tomorrow. Thanks again and goodnight.

I can do the curved wall but not also having a rounded upper corner.

railing pony wall. to center the glass.  I have an air insulation gap to push the glass

wall toward the center of the lower wall.  draw the two straight walls and then connect with a curves wall.  Fuss as needed.

This thread should be in general Q&A or CHatroom.

post-132-0-07875000-1413214912_thumb.jpg

I can do the curved wall but not also having a rounded upper corner.

railing pony wall. to center the glass.  I have an air insulation gap to push the glass

wall toward the center of the lower wall.  draw the two straight walls and then connect with a curves wall.  Fuss as needed.

This thread should be in general Q&A or CHatroom.

That my friend is pretty darn good.  So those are not actually windows?  You used a railing/pony wall for the glass....  not bad......  but you do not have a header.....  not perfect...  but not bad,,,,

This gets a bit complicated.  The Straight and Curved Walls can be done easily enough with Paneled Railing Walls, including the Pony Wall. 

The problem gets more complicated with the half arch since it needs to be done with a solid wall with a window in it. 

It can be done but it takes some tricky manipulation to get it right.

You guys are fantastic! I think I'm pretty close to it now, a bit more messing around and it should be all good. Just got to remember how I did it so I can repeat it on the real plan. I ended up using a pony wall with the upper section as a shower wall, with a railing, then the beam over the top set to the require dimensions and materials, a moulding polyline for the sill, set the Newels/Posts to zero width also and used a polyline solid for the curvy bit in the corner. Just need to figure out the awning over the top of the window, that should be fairly simple I hope.

Thanks again hopefully I can return the favour to someone sometime.

post-2872-0-33384700-1413246803_thumb.jpg