Ridge Beam Pocket

MontanaFred

In the image, you can see the ridge sitting above the wall framing. I would like to frame a pocket in the gable ends for the ridge to sit in. Any ideas on what to do next? I would like to keep the rest of the roof structure...ie. Joists attached to ridge faces with connectors.

Thanks

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8922237972710EDB!4848&authkey=!AJmhRDFJqVwo6OA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Chief won't do it automatically,(I've tried to get Chief to cut the ridge back at the overhangs) but not doing it right now. The only way I know is to make the ridge a p-solid and shape it at the ends, also make the auto ridge "0" height. Maybe X7 will fix it and put ridges and hips on their own layer and cut them at the eaves when needed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply!

I am not really wanting to shape the ends, but I will assume that since you haven't found a way to control that part of the ridge, then what I am wanting to do is really out of the question.

Its odd, since a lot of small 1 1/2 story cabins and cottages are framed this way.

I've attached an image of the desired wall framing. This is mid span, I am wanting to have the gable walls in this configuration.

Would be really nice if Wall Framing Options had a checkbox:   Frame Ridge Pocket

Oh well....

J

post-2862-0-71866400-1413140916_thumb.jpg

I just went through the "Residential Project" series of videos, and in one of the framing videos they show how to do what you are wanting to create, by opening up the wall framing elevation and adjusting. It is either video 5471 Intro to framing or 5472 editing framing. 

Hope this helps.