new user needs help

WNCMarc

Hi, just getting started with Chief.  I'm drawing my first floorplan.  Once the perimeter of the plan is enclosed, Chief add 6 1/8" to the width and depth of the building.

I'm at a loss to understand why...any thoughts on why it's doing this?

thanks!

Probably best to do your user forum signature , so others know which version of Chief you are using as the answers sometimes depend on the version , here is a link for doing that....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk

My guess would be the measurements when drawing are to framing and the measurements afterwards are to the exterior of the Siding/Stucco etc....

M.

thanks for the reply.  i've done one small plan and didn't have a problem.  it's adding 6 1/8" in both directions, when i zoom in, it's measuring framing and not the lap siding (which wouldn't add up to 3+" either....

i purchased the intermediate seminar and am following it....

thanks again

post the plan ....  otherwise it is like playing 20 questions..... or at the very least some screen snips of the issue , there are just way too many variables.

make sure the plan is closed in Chief 1st as it locks the file , so it won't upload into the reply window

M.

Is this a square box  and you are using the auto  exterior tool ,for these ( outside of walls )  exterior dimensions  ? Different dimension tools and settings ( defaults ) will effect how chief dimensions these items or componets in a plan . 6 1/8 sounds like a wall setting to me .Click on a wall, it will be highlighted, bottom of screen you will see an icon that looks like a door( open object tool )a new box will appear and a wall menu will show up with a wall type , to the right of that wall type you will see a button that says define, click that and you will get  another menu which will tell you the types of materials that are making up that walls dimension . As you click on each item you can adjust the dimension of that material

So try clicking on that wall - highlighted - open dialogue  window  / define / see if 6 1/8 shows up here