Roads, Sidewalks

modaby

Hello All,

I am new to Chief Architect....working my way through learning the tools.  A few questions about features that I find odd:

1.  When adding a curb to a road, why is the only option to have the curb on all 4 sides of the road?  Is it possible to have an option to turn off the curbs on any of the 4 sides individually? 

2. How come roads and sidewalks outside of the terrain perimeter boundary don't show up in 3D views?  I have yet to understand the benefit of this.

Thanks for the insight!

Your questions are best addressed in the General Q&A forum, but:

1. I don't know why, but a Road either has a Curb, or it doesn't - individual control is not possible.

2. Roads and Sidewalks are Terrain objects, so they don't (can't) exist outside of the Terrain Perimeter.

10 hours ago, modaby said:

Hello All,

I am new to Chief Architect....working my way through learning the tools.  A few questions about features that I find odd:

1.  When adding a curb to a road, why is the only option to have the curb on all 4 sides of the road?  Is it possible to have an option to turn off the curbs on any of the 4 sides individually? 

2. How come roads and sidewalks outside of the terrain perimeter boundary don't show up in 3D views?  I have yet to understand the benefit of this.

Thanks for the insight!

No.2 kinda answers No.1   pull the road out past the Terrain Perimeter on both sides and you lose the Curbs in 3D on those two ends.

Thanks for the responses.  

Regarding number 1:  It's too bad this is the case.  It I use the terrain perimeter as by property lines I am able to get the linetype and bearing length information automatically and wonderful looking in a plot plan view using the tools without adding any extra CAD lines, BUT if I also want to show a sidewalk, road, etc. that is outside of the property boundary (terrain perimeter) those won't show in my 3D presentations.  Basically this setting all creates the need for extra CAD linework.  From my current understanding, it would be better if those terrain objects (road, sidewalks, etc) could exist on their own outside of the terrain perimeter.

Regarding number 2:   This is the inverse of my issue with number 1.  If I put my road in a plot plan view. All of the linework appropriately represents the road in a plot plan view without additional CAD lines EXCEPT that it shows a curb on the ends of the road.  If the edges with a curb could be controlled individually, I would not need any additional CAD line work to show my road in a plot plan view....I could just use the road terrain object.

thanks for any additional thoughts

If you Copy/Paste in place the TP, Chief instead creates a Standard Polyline as you can't have two TPs in one Plan, there is no need to redraw anything.

The Trick is to immediately, while still selected Open the Copy ( check it is the STD Polyline) and change the LineStyle to a PL linetype (and colour if desired),

turn on angle and length if desired etc as it can be a bit of a bear sometimes to distinguish the TP from the CAD Polyline afterwards,

then you can Select ( use NEXT) and drag the TP out wider and longer so Roads and Sidewalks etc, behave themselves.

Try it in a simple test Plan 1st......

M.

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the thoughts.  This is the process I am using as well.  Although you are not redrawing anything, there are still 2 objects needed to represent "one" site feature....the terrain perimeter and the polyline to represent the plot boundaries.  

I guess I am suggested that it's unclear to me the benefit of the roads and sidewalks needing to be within a terrain perimeter.  Is there some sort of interaction between them that otherwise would not work?