Missing and messed up items after CAX11 Crash.


Evolution
 Share

Recommended Posts

No need to go into a lot of detail. I had a crash (three different times) on Monday. Upon restarting X11, went back to working on the plan CA had saved. Yesterday while trying to print the preliminary drawings, after an extended period of time I found missing or messed up items in the plan. i.e. doors showing on the floor plan, but not in the Full Camera view.  Also some of the FCV's had double images (almost like seeing cross-eyed). 

The plan was almost completed when the crashes occurred, and I hope with your help I can figure out what to do to avoid going all the way back to the start. 

NOTE: there are strange details, for example I used walls to produce the existing raised planter beds at the existing porch. Because of the way walls work, I had to use P-solids to produce the remaining 4 that exist and connect to the porch planters.

Also, the client had requested a Timber framed Porch Cover be added ( he made other changes that I was also working on at the time of the crashes) and now that detail is all screwed up.  The floor plan appears ok, except when you pull full camera views (FCV's) then the missing items are detectible, although the "double-vision" in the full camera may not show up.  I'd like to know how long it takes you to get the results of a Full Camera as it takes  from 30-45 secs on my machine. (Surface Pro 4 i7). I've posted the plan file here. Had to zip as CA said plan file too large to post. 

DOOR LAYER DISPLAY IS ON.png

DOORS ARE ON FLOOR PLAN.png

MISSING DOORS AND GLASS.png

MISSING DOORS AFTER CRASH.png

Orphanos_Foundation_Renovations_PAINTED_BRICK_option_1_REV_1.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took me about 3 seconds from any position for full camera to create the view*.  Noticeably longer than my typical plan (small file, few textures).

 

* I did have to tell it to ignore about a dozen textures at first.  Those textures may be causing some delay in rendering.

 

The door issue I have no idea but suspect it must have something to do with display settings.  However, I have no idea which or what.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

.

 

The door issue I have no idea but suspect it must have something to do with display settings.  However, I have no idea which or what.

I thought so too, but when you check display settings doors are checked. I don't know if CA tech support can help but I'm inclined to send it to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI, in your camera view the "CAD, ARCH FLOOR PLAN" and "Casings, Interior" are turned off.  Turn these on and doors display appropriately.

 

Alternately, move doors to "Door" layer and they display in Camera, but not in "CD - Floor Plan Layer Set).

 

I found out what layer the door was on by bringing up "active layer display options", highlighting all layers and set to display, then selecting the door which brings up only the layers associated with that object (5 in this case).  I then whittled it down to the specific layer.

Edited by madcowscarnival
additional info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

i.e. doors showing on the floor plan, but not in the Full Camera view.  

 

Your missing doors are on a layer that is turned on in plan view but are turned off in your camera view.  

 

Every view in the program has the ability to use a different layer set.  Every layer can be turned on or off independently in every layer set.  This allows you to have some views showing some things and other views showing other things.  This is very basic Chief functionality.  I highly recommend that you review the training videos regarding layers and layer sets.

 

As for the picture of the office you posted above, this is not what I am seeing when I open your plan.  See my picture below.  I can't think of any way to get the image you have shown using the same plan.  Turning off the windows layer should still leave a hole in the wall above the door.  This leads me to believe that the plan you posted is not the same as the plan you used for your image.  You may want to double check your file management system to make sure that you are opening and posting using the same plan files.

 

As for your performance problems, my best guess is that these are related to your system settings.  Most likely your video card or drivers.  Could be lots of other things though.  Might be a problem with one or more of the graphics files you are using.  Since you just posted the plan file without the graphics files, this can't be investigated.

 

non missing glass.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dermot said:

 

Your missing doors are on a layer that is turned on in plan view but are turned off in your camera view.  

 

Every view in the program has the ability to use a different layer set.  Every layer can be turned on or off independently in every layer set.  This allows you to have some views showing some things and other views showing other things.  This is very basic Chief functionality.  I highly recommend that you review the training videos regarding layers and layer sets.

 

As for the picture of the office you posted above, this is not what I am seeing when I open your plan.  See my picture below.  I can't think of any way to get the image you have shown using the same plan.  Turning off the windows layer should still leave a hole in the wall above the door.  This leads me to believe that the plan you posted is not the same as the plan you used for your image.  You may want to double check your file management system to make sure that you are opening and posting using the same plan files.

 

As for your performance problems, my best guess is that these are related to your system settings.  Most likely your video card or drivers.  Could be lots of other things though.  Might be a problem with one or more of the graphics files you are using.  Since you just posted the plan file without the graphics files, this can't be investigated.

 

non missing glass.png

Dermot, I don't know about graphics files? I assumed when I did a Complete back up that saved all associated files? During the back up though the message states (maybe a hundred or more?) files were missing, I did search but wasn't able to find (following the path in the message menu) where those files were? I just opened the back up file again, the floor plan file door layer was turned off, so I turned it on, and did another full camera to which when the camera opened and the doors are still missing, I checked the layer display for the camera view and the doors layer is turned on. Is it possible when X11 crashed, the graphic file (if doors has one) is one of those that went AWOL? The plan would still show the door but the camera needs a graphic file (correct ?) to display the object?

dermot 2.png

dermot.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Your missing doors are on a layer that is turned on in plan view but are turned off in your camera view.

 

Select your door in plan view.  Look at the status bar.  What layer is it on?  

Open your full camera view.  Look at your layer display options.  Is that layer turned on?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Dermot said:

 

Select your door in plan view.  Look at the status bar.  What layer is it on?  

Open your full camera view.  Look at your layer display options.  Is that layer turned on?

Dermot, you aren't able to see my "BLUSHING FACE" but of all things to miss! That corrected that and I don't see the double images any more..(this will go into my things not to forget list on my desk.… I haven't looked into the Printing issue further yet. But after I get the clients latest changes (I'm sure there will be more), I'll check the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...…...I didn't pull all my hair out.  Dermot helped me find the missing objects.  Some textures I couldn't recover but that's ok too.  I bit the bullet, cleaned up my Plan, deleted  my layout that was associated with the plan, created a smack-brand-new layout for this project. Sent all the same views I had originally placed in the old layout file.  The MOST WONDERFUL THING HAPPENED...………:ph34r: All the full camera views I have done so far, and sent to layout only took a very few seconds.   Don't know what made the difference between yesterday's fiasco and todays recovery!?!?! but I'm just happy it seems to be back on track so I can start the construction drawings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30212
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Monikafb
    Newest Member
    Monikafb
    Joined