Best image format

fangelo

I typically insert pdf's of details from the manufacturer's in my CD's which really slows down my system.  Is there a better format that I could convert to that would be more efficient in chief(PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF) without losing quality?

31 minutes ago, fangelo said:

I typically insert pdf's of details from the manufacturer's in my CD's which really slows down my system.  Is there a better format that I could convert to that would be more efficient in chief(PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF) without losing quality?

.png is lossless, but it will not maintain scale the way the PDF does. You will have to use the point to point resize tool and lock the images ratio.

Interesting topic. I just looked only a few minutes at a tip from Foxit PDF software about the advantages of using the JPEG 2000 format for archiving PDF's. Have any of you used the JPEG 2000 format? I wondered how that format would work in layout and would it slow the system less than PDF's?

Edited by Ridge_Runner
posted before finishing

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monikafb
    Newest Member
    Monikafb

• By Ange822
      Good morning,

I am helping a college who is having issues exporting a Chief File into a CAD . dwg file.
      The issue is, she had imported a .jpeg of a clients survey to draw over to create a site plan.
      Now trying to export the file to CAD, it will not export the .jpeg with it (that we sized / rotated into place).

The other option would be just to import the .jpeg into CAD and re-size / rotate to fit, but wasn't sure if their was an easier way.
      See the files attached.

thanks in advance for the help!

McMillan -custom-VER.4- SITE - 08.17.21 ENTIRE LOT.plan McMillan -custom-VER.4- SITE - 08.17.21 ENTIRE LOT.dwg
    • By Sunnyfields
      I am trying to do a presentation plan and am using a top down orthographic view with watercolor and overlaid lines. I can't get the resolution I need exporting an image from CA so I have sent the view to Layout as a live view. We also tried it as an image. The problem is that every time I try to create a PDF two walls disappear. The view box is large enough, so I haven't cropped the view, I've had our veteran Chief guy look at it, and we're stumped. Here is the result:

Here is the view in Layout:

And Here is the print preview:

Has this happened to anyone else? I have tried outputting this about a dozen times and the same two walls are cut off every time. 

I am running CA Premier X12 on a Dell with these bells and whistles. I also have Bluebeam Revu as my PDF print driver in addition to the "Export" function in CA. I have tried to print and to export with the same result . Any help would be appreciated.

• By deanbrenneman
      I've never seen this problem before - I "print" my layout sheets to Chief PDF, and the floor plan comes up with super-heavy linewieghts, making it virtually unreadable.  No problem with the rest of my set including elevations, sections and roof plan.  Any thoughts about what is going on?
      VAN Bruggen CD PHASE 1.REV 1.pdf
    • By mborean
      Working on my first project in Chief.  The attached PDF is a screen shot showing part of a PDF created in Chief and the layout page that the PDF was derived from.  In the drawing I drew the triangles in the gable to represent louvered gable end vents.  In the drawing, they are fine, but in the PDF, the triangles are shifted a couple inches.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks
      pdf vs screen image.pdf
    • By JNWArchitect
      I have imported a PDF for use as a background in my drawings. Is appears ok on the screen, but when it prints out the background is very light, almost invisible.
      Is there a way to adjust the lightness/darkness and/or contrast of the PDF?
      Thanks