Sign in to follow this  
Ridge_Runner

Off-set lines in Layout when editing

I have struggled with this problem for some time. When I send views to Layout, I will sometimes have a difficult time "picking" a line to edit (see attached view). By hit-and-miss I am able to select it off to the left from where it shows in the view. I could never determine why or what causes it to happen until today. I have sent countless views back to layout just so I could edit them - sometimes! By chance, I discovered today, while working on a cabinet sheet of views, the problem started again. I re-sent a view, could edit the lines in place by picking them where they showed in the view. After some edits, I could not select the lines as before; they had to be selected to the left of shown. I did a mental backtrack of what I had done just before this occurred. The only thing I had done different between the functioning view and the non-functioning view was to move the view label. I like to move the labels close to the view they tag to prevent possible errors in labeling. Sure enough, if I moved the label I could no longer pick a line as normal. If I didn't move the label, I could pick the lines as normal. Would someone please try this on one of your layout sheets to see if this happens on your system? I don't think it would be a setting but I don't have a clue why it would happen. BTW, I mostly move my labels to the left if that has any bearing.

Thanks, Mike

offset lines problem.JPG

Mike,

Yes, I can confirm this behaviour.

And, like you, the off-set selection only seems to happen if the layout box label is dragged to the left.

All seems OK if the label is dragged to the right.

Definitely worth a bug report.

I sent the plans and layout files to Chief. I have been working with Nigel on the issue of the layout lines. Below is his latest reply:

- Support Answer -

Nigel Cockle
Monday, Jul 01, 2019 - 12:25 PM PDT
Mike - 

Thank you so much for your patience regarding this issue. I have been working with my Development Department on this issue, and it appears you are correct, this is an issue that needs to be addressed by our Development Department in an update. While I am not sure when this will be addressed, I have forwarded your .plan files, and your .layout files to our Development Department. Thank you so much for your patience and determination; my Development Department will work to get this addressed as quickly as possible.

Nigel

In the meantime, the short answer is to keep the labels to the right of the left edge of the layout view and below the top edge of the layout view; you can also leave the label "inside" the layout view and the vector lines will be editable in-place.

Thanks, Nigel, for your efforts.
Mike
  • Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kepine
    Newest Member
    kepine

• By verticalworks
      We have limited space on our layout page and more pages than can fit. I cannot seem to find a way to do columns. The only option is to shrink the font but that will not be an option as the city requires a minimum font size. All I can come up with is to do a manual text box. This seems like there should be an easy solution to this as I know plan sets that are 60-80 pages and you would need multiple columns to show all the pages. Thought?

• By kylejmarsh
      I like to use Line Style renderings for my concept sets - and have noticed that when i use them the backgrounds print out black. This when I have them set to 'live view - update on demand'

I export using the chief pdf exporter - then open in Preview and the backgrounds look white - then I print and they're black.

I have checked the background of the line style viewports, and have even specifically set it to a 'white' background.

In the chief menu, I have selected and changed all my window and colors to white as much as possible even, and no change.

When the pdf is exported from Preview, after the export from chief, and made into JPEG files for each sheet it will print correctly.

Trying to figure out what's going on - pretty sure it's not my printer - and i've tried printing from other PDF readers and no dice. Also, if I print from the 'mac print dialogue' and use the native pdf exporter, the files come out without the black background, but there are other issues (different thread I suppose). 

My hunch is that it's somewhere in the chief achitect PDF converter, maybe specific to mac computers. Anybody else having this problem? It has been posted about before but never saw resolution.

Miller - Concept Layout Cover Test.pdf

Miller - Concept Layout - July21.pdf

• By PPRGLLC
      I usually print layouts on 24"x 36" paper so that is what my layout template is set up to do. A client wants to print on 11"x 17". When I change the size of the drawing sheet, it changes the paper size without adjusting the title boxes, notes, etc. Is there a way to resize the entire layout without creating a new layout template for 11" x 17" paper? 
    • By HDbyJustin
      The architect I am moonlighting for wants the title sheet to be rotated 90° to the rest of the sheets. I am not sure this is possible without creating a new layout just to have the title sheet be in the correct orientation. Is this an accurate assumption?
    • By kylejmarsh
      Upon sending 3D cameras to layout, I've noticed that they don't come through with the same aspect ratio as shown on my screen. That means I need to zoom waay in to get the view to look correct on the layout. What gives? Is there some setting I'm missing or is this a bug?

Here you see a screen shot of my camera (exactly as shown, with no toolbars turned on so it's the full CA window) and the view as sent to layout (again, cropped perfectly to show how the camera came through). Next I match the widths and put them side by side to show the difference. What accounts for this? I have been unable to figure it out.