Plotter Suggestions

Southcoast247

Looking into getting a plotter I work for a design build main focus on kitchens. right now we print on 11x17, but we'd like to start w/ 18x24 no need to get much bigger. I'd love for it to be able to sit on my desk but also have an option for a stand as well. Also would like the option to scan from this printer to my CPU. and also have option to still print 8.5x11 as well as 11x17.

TIA

Hi:

I would recommend skipping on the plotter and just use a local print shop

I bought an HP Designjet 100 Plus for $900+ in 2007 and ended up never even plugging it in

it was easier to use a local shop

and I decided it was better to send the PDF to the builder and let them do the prints

after one builder rushed the clearly marked DRAFT version to the printer

I added a clause to the contract stating "by printing the client agrees that they have reviewed the documents and found them acceptable"

Lew

I owned the HP design 110 plus for several years and loved it!

I recently purchased the Design jet T520-24 (attachment below) on amazon a few months ago and I am very happy with it. In six months after the purchase of it and all the expenses of paper and ink it will pay for itself already. I used to just print very little on my old printer because I was afraid of over using it and wearing it out. So I would take my big sets of plans down to get them copied at the print shop. But my friend that works on printers said that these HP printers are almost bullet proof and they are built to print high volumes. I don't worry about it any more I print everything and it takes about 35 seconds to print each page and that fine. Its a roll feed so you don't have to keep feeding it.

And also the T520 Is really easy load the paper. Its like a 110% improvement over the 100 plus.

After unboxing the printer it only took me about 30min and I had it set up and I was printing my first page. Very easy to setup. I chose not to use the stand because I don't have a lot of room so I just have it sitting on a cabinet. The size of the printer is 40" wide x 20" deep and 11" tall.

Capture.thumb.PNG.00936a416b5be4d2ec920cf9dae2d018.PNG

In 2011 I donated the brand new unused 110 to the local history dept in Niagara Falls as a thank you

for all the scanning I did on their scanner of my family history covering 18 sites and events during the 1800's

Lew

10 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Hi:

I would recommend skipping on the plotter and just use a local print shop

I bought an HP Designjet 100 Plus for $900+ in 2007 and ended up never even plugging it in

it was easier to use a local shop

and I decided it was better to send the PDF to the builder and let them do the prints

after one builder rushed the clearly marked DRAFT version to the printer

I added a clause to the contract stating "by printing the client agrees that they have reviewed the documents and found them acceptable"

Lew

I agree. Send the PDF's out even if it is to the printer company for the contractors and let them pick them up and pay for them. I only print for the required city plans to get them approved and for my employees to use on the site of the jobs we are on. I'm also charging for almost every print that goes out otherwise this doesn't work and the printer wont pay for itself. Also you should be charging the client for all the printing on top of your fee. Printing adds up to a lot of money.

I understand where your coming from with sending the prints out but this new printer is a huge improvement from the 100 and 110 printers.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything just wanted to give you and others an update of how much better and more efficient this printer is.

Here Is a short video I did so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzpmwe8yaueknx4/2019-05-18 06.44.40.mp4?dl=0

I will second the T520.

I have had mine for a while and I am impressed with the machine.

I use it to “proof” plansets, and marketing banners and posters, along with printing 3D model templates for foam board house models.

1 minute ago, parkwest said:

I will second the T520.

I have had mine for a while and I am impressed with the machine.

I use it to “proof” plansets, and marketing banners and posters, along with printing 3D model templates for foam board house models.

Yes, you were the reason I purchased mine.

Thank You! Good Advice!