Show Terrain Cut Line at House in Elevation View?

Chrisb222

Does anyone know a way to automatically show a line where the actual plan terrain is cut by the house in elevation view? Just the line as it would be at the foundation wall. If I check terrain layer to show it gives everything the camera sees, not just the cut line.

I draw these manually now and try to approximate the intersection of the house and the terrain but on sloped lots it gets tricky. Would be nice to have Chief show the intersection line only.

I messed around with generating a terrain hole from the exterior room polyline, but the results were quirky.

Thanks

311978432_housecutsterrain.thumb.png.dc5ea269bad5b8e6c00a270ffd14ea5c.png

Away from my computer so I can’t test this, but here’s a random idea...

Use a very very small road, driveway, sidewalk, fence, or some other object that follows the terrain and just draw it around the perimeter of your house .  Place it onto a unique layer and you should get a semi-automated terrain surface line.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Away from my computer so I can’t test this, but here’s a random idea...

Use a very very small road, driveway, sidewalk, fence, or some other object that follows the terrain and just draw it around the perimeter of your house .  Place it onto a unique layer and you should get a semi-automated terrain surface line.  

That works. I selected the Exterior Room, made Room Polyline, converted to Sidewalk (Center Line), 1/8" wide, 1/8" high, placed on custom layer. It perfectly follows gently contoured terrain, right at the house.

Thanks!

• Like 1