How to automate plant on gables?

dskogg

HI all, we use plant on gables for all our cabinets and have them extend flush to front of doors.

In ca there is an option to add side panels but it defaults to cabinet depth, any way to change this?

I have been using manual gables for this but it should be automatic i think as an option.

Custom door symbol- set width to what you need, set stretch planes outside the width, offset origin, make default for side panels in DBX. If I remember correctly you will need a left and a right in which case it's a bit easier to add one or the other to the library to use replace from. Oh and the left and right tend to be opposite of how they appear in the symbol dbx.

9 hours ago, dskogg said:

I have been using manual gables for this but it should be automatic i think as an option. 

I stand corrected, thought that there was a simpler way but had been messing with it the other  day and didn't find it so spit out an old hack.

Specify in accessories for default to be full size and full overlay, then for any cabinet with a gable specify the side to be auto paneled. You still have to do it for any cabinet that needs it so no there is no fully automatic way to do it. Edit strike that last part-all I can say is I'd just woken up.

side panel.png

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

HI Mark, funny thing i turned on the same items in accessories you did and nothing happened?

Any thoughts on why?

What is selected for the panel type? only thing I can think of.

Post the plan and I'll take a look- the only glitch I know of with that is that sometimes they show up when they should not.

OMG.... thanks that is awesome...

I work for a custom cabinet shop and we do full house renos as well, i am the in house designer/project mgr.

We build all our cabinet boxes with prefinished birch plywood so all our exposed sides need plant on gables...i have been adding

these manual for ever...

We also do flush mount fillers for all drawers and doors...something ca will not do automatically?

So would you set the cabinets default to auto panel for both sides and then turn off the side that was not needed? 

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

Hi mark, i have another instance where i have two full height wall cabinets and a shorter one in middle...i need side panels on each full height cab..cant get it to work on both sides?

cabinet auto panel plan 2.zip

side gable.jpg

To make it work auto as you have you need to turn off automatic fillers. Honest I'd be doing it some other way. What depends on how you want to deal with schedules and how you want them shown in plan. Attached zip file has your plan with autofillers turned off-gables show up immediately. Thing is that gets awfully fussy -I personally never use auto filler (I don't use much auto anything on cabinets to tell the truth-but I'm a bit of a PIA). Attached zip has a second plan with some options to get panels without using auto panels. I'd be using a cabinet to make the gables myself-they could be included in schedule, show up in floor plan, can block those to a cabinet and store block in library then use replace from (reflect as needed) then unblock and resize the actual cabinet. With any YMMV.

3 hours ago, dskogg said:

We also do flush mount fillers for all drawers and doors...something ca will not do automatically?

Need an image or plan of what you mean by that- I have not run into that naming but it's likely I have done that modification along the way.

panel options.zip

Mark if I have a bank of drawers next to a wall or inside corner of adjacent cabinets there will always be a space like 1.25-3” to allow for drawer and door opening.

chief puts auto fillers in but flush with cabinetry not the doors so it looks amateurish.. we flush our fillers to front of drawers and doors.

i wish ca had an option of where fillers were placed.. ie cabinet face or drawer/door face.

Several ways to get what you want but not with auto fillers. (I've not used auto in years; don't show in schedule among other things)

You can alter one of  symbols in the link- increase and lock depth, may need to change origin. 

For what you are after I place a filler, leave it checked as a filler, change front to door panel/slab. Place in library. Often noted as filler overlay.

To get both fillers and overlays properly into schedule I have blocks in library made of a filler 3/4" deep, door panel set on the face, and a psolid no material, very thin to force all to correct depth from wall. After placing fillers in plan go around room and use replace from library.